Quadratic equations anybody ?

peanut

Retro Guru
I usually do a short hilly ride of 5.81 miles every Sunday for strength and fitness check
Last Week
Distance 5.81 miles (constant)
time 27mins
average speed 12.7 mph
max speed 33mph

This week I changed from a 12-25t to a 12-28t cassette and wanted to asses the difference in average speed . However because the roads were so wet and slippy I only managed 29 mph max so my average is useless.

Can you calculate what my average speed would have been if my max speed hit 33mph today ?

This Week

Distance 5.81 miles (constant)
time 28.4mins
average speed 12.1mph
max speed 29mph :LOL:

No, because your average speed is a function of distance and time.

What would have happened if you hit your max speed for 1/10th second?

see your point but the route is exactly the same its a very short timescale and I get almost exactly the same figures every week for the past 7 weeks Its really uncanny how you can cycle for 30 mins and still get exactly the same average speed to within 0.1 of a second
Also its not just a matter of distance and time is it because you have a variable acceleration
here are my past 4 weeks
average 12.7 12.7 12.7 12.7
time 27.21 27.21 27 27.24
dist 5.81 5.81 5.81 5.81
max 33 33 29 31

Ok, I'm lost now!

If you route took you 1 hour, and was 10 miles long, your average speed would be 10mph irrespective of whether your top speed was 10mph or 100mph.

Or is my simple heading missing something ....

Kestonian":2saz7k0l said:
Ok, I'm lost now!

If you route took you 1 hour, and was 10 miles long, your average speed would be 10mph irrespective of whether your top speed was 10mph or 100mph.

Or is my simple heading missing something ....

no its me I am just not thinking clearly. :roll:

Only thing you may want to work out is what you average speed would be if your cadence had stayed the same as before.

Kestonian":3777ukvh said:
Phew. Now what's Frank Whittle got to do with anything?

:D

If you answer any question with the answer 'Sir Frank Whittle', you will be correct 2.3% of the time.

FACT*

*ish

peanut":hdbrc1iu said:
I get almost exactly the same figures every week for the past 7 weeks Its really uncanny how you can cycle for 30 mins and still get exactly the same average speed to within 0.1 of a second

Which would suggest, if you're using it as a measure of strength and fitness, that in 7 weeks you've not got any stronger or fitter.

I'd be worrying less about the numbers and more about shaking up your training regime :D

Back