Tyre pressures??

All this about rolling resistance being lower at higher pressures has been proven to be negligable,type of tread etc makes more difference.If you've always run your tyres at 45psi try them 5-10psi lower you will not belive the difference,don't try it with ultralight inner tubes though!

MJN":9toxjaf0 said:
If you've always run your tyres at 45psi try them 5-10psi lower you will not belive the difference,don't try it with ultralight inner tubes though!
Unless you squirt a couple of ounces of Stan's in them first. :cool:

Yeah but I'd bin the inner tubes altogether and go Stans/UST,unless you regularly tear sidewalls its the best puncture proof system I've found.

Andy B":1u80eotx said:
Ideally you should run the front softer, a softer tyre will have a greater contact area, giving more grip.

I'd rather have a slide at the rear than the front, as a rear tyre slide is much more controllable than having the front end wash out on you.

Not ideally for me, maybe ideally for you ;)
BITD I would run the front specific tires so had a continuous edge style thingy (Dart and the like). Tended to work better at higher pressures than the equivalent rear for me, as it stopped them squirming around and the front sus would take the slight discomfort.
Though, if it started to get wet and rooty and traversing was going to happen then pressure would drop, but so the tyre would change to something more suitable.

Modern stuff I have no idea about and would need to play around. Tyres and compounds have changed I assume.

the jist of it, as always, is have a play and find out what suites you, your bike and your riding style and ground

I was thinking that :shock: :shock:

Thats like crossing proton beams !!!!

shovelon":2r87zfc1 said:
MJN":2r87zfc1 said:
If you've always run your tyres at 45psi try them 5-10psi lower you will not belive the difference,don't try it with ultralight inner tubes though!
Unless you squirt a couple of ounces of Stan's in them first. :cool:

For many a year now have run between 27-33 psi, couple of psi extra in the rear - especially in a smoke light comp ;)
Also always have used lightest tubes I can find without problem. Conti supersonics for last few years. Think a lot of it depends on your style of riding more than anything, but if you are running 45psi, take them lower and feel what grip and comfort is like :)

Back