Rebuilding a Basso. Advice needed on shifters and gears.

Pics Of Basso Please

Sounds great, doesnt matter what anyone else thinks as long as its to your (or your girlfriends if your still building it for her ;) ) tastes.
Please put a pic up and let us see.
All the best
jamie

Pictures of completed rebuild

EPHOTOS-BACKUP2008080715ChapmanS-4.jpg

EPHOTOS-BACKUP2008080715ChapmanS-2.jpg

EPHOTOS-BACKUP2008080715ChapmanS-1.jpg

EPHOTOS-BACKUP2008080715ChapmanSist.jpg

Ignore temporary pedals and the stem height being right, but just about finished now. [/img]

Beautiful

Beautiful :cool:
I liked it before with its old patina but that Basso is now incredibly classy.
Take a bow. Have a drink as its job well done.

Jamie

Wow :cool: , and you can see you've spent a small fortune on it! No problems with modern stuff on a road frame, really suits it and you will love those ergos compared to down tube shifters. good job man,good job oh and to be nit picky change the saddle to something more stream lined to give the bike a better look(in my opinion).

Very nice - especially good choice to put a square taper chainset and no carbon bits on it to keep it looking reasonably retro.

thats very nice. Who did the paint job?
I think a mixture of old and new is the most practical blend for a bike in daily use. You can always rebuild it later with some 80's bits if your girlfriend wants to upgrade. Down tube shifters may look authentic but they are a complete pitta for everyday practical use after using Sti or Ergo.

Basso...

Very, very well done mate. Interfering with an original paint job can be a bit of a tightrope (look at all those ruined rattle-can frames on fixedgeargallery) but your frame has clearly been done properly and sympathetically.

I think your components are spot on too. I can see why some want their cycles period-correct but when the bike is a rider you need to make allowances for practical use - you wouldn't want an expensive NOS chainset getting heel-rubbed, would you? - and no matter what, STI levers are much nicer to live with than downtube shifters. None of those components look out of place at all. Like I said - very well done.

Thanks for your replies, interesting to hear peoples views. Clearly STI has won the day for most people!

Colourtech in Dartford did the paint job, and i would recomend them. My girlfriend was like a kid in a sweet shop in there choosing what colours to go for (i had to let her choose something on the bike) He also helped me source some of the campag parts and the wheels and was very reasonable.

Back