Hello All - Great Site!

Simod

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello all.

I've been viewing this site for months so i thought it was about time i registered.
The site is great - i had forgotten so many of the old makes until i started looking at this site.

I've got a 1990 Trek 8000 (the alu one that is lugged and glued together) that i've had from new. The only original part is the frame, everything else has been upgraded over the years - Mag 20's, Cooks Cranks, Royce BB etc...... I'll post some pictures when i next get the camera out.

I used to have a 1990 Alpinestars Al-Mega XT (pre elevated) but stupidly i sold this back in the mid 90's. I saw it a few years later at a bike shop i used to work at in Exeter but haven't seen it again.

Finally, before i bore everyone stupid, i just managed to pick up an Alpinestars Cro-Mega DX - it's a bit tatty, got a seized seatpost and could really do with a respray - Probably a stupid question this but does anyone have of know of where to get replacement frame decals.

Cheers
Simon.

Hi Simon!

Strangely my Cro-Mega had a seized seapost when I bought it too, lots of WD40 and then tightening the head of the seapost in a vice and wiggling the frame gently did the trick, great bikes :D

I'm sure Gil could help you with graphics, if yours is the red 1992 model I can take some photos of the graphics if you need them.

Cheers
Stu

Hi Simon, welcome to the site mate.. I'm an ex-resident of Exeter too, went to Uni there 94-7.. Lived in Heavitree for the first year, did you work at Richards Bikes?

Used to go riding in the woods just of the A38, awesome trails around there..

Yes I did used to work in Richard's Bikes. Seems like a very long time ago now though! I also did a short spell (2 Uni Summer holidays) at Partridge Cycles - but that isn't a nice bike shop at all.

Unfortunately the Cro-Mega isn't the red one it's the yellow and white version with the multi-coloured graphics. I think it will be easier to fly to the moon than find replacements so i would be interested in graphics off the red one.

Kingroon - You are probably talking about Haldon Forest. It is very good now, lots of lottery money has been spent along with a dedicated team of helpers. There are good XC and freeride sections. (http://www.haldonfreeride.org/)

Thanks for the welcome guys.
Cheers
Simon.

Hi Simon!

Welcome :D

I used to ride/race in south devon a few years ago. Woodbury Common was always good for a bit of fun :D

As said, Gil can prolly sort you some decals, and as for resprays... just check out the Trimble thread with Kris :shock:

Simod":3e4qcko1 said:
Kingroon - You are probably talking about Haldon Forest. It is very good now, lots of lottery money has been spent along with a dedicated team of helpers. There are good XC and freeride sections. (http://www.haldonfreeride.org/)

That's the one, with the turret poking thru the tree line? Will check out the website for sure, sounds cool down there now..

Lookin forward to seeing some photos of yer bike..

Partridge cycles - that was Ken wasn't it? I bought my first racer there - didn't strike me so much a bike shop as a place that sells 2nd hand bikes... mind you this was going back a few years.

PS I grew up in Topsham

orange71":1hk2u2aj said:
Partridge cycles..

PS I grew up in Topsham

I bought my C16-R from that shop I think..? Next to Exeter Central?

Mate, Topsham.. What an awesome place.. Topsham Ten notwithstanding, the endless Summer Nights during my college years there were fantastic.. Favourite Pub had to be The Passage :cool:

The shop next to Central station, Exeter used to be called 'Road Rider'. It was a very good shop that used to sell some high end kit back in the early 90's. Its probably been gone for 10 years now, John(?) who used to own it is now a postie.

Partridge, yeah very big on 2nd hand - or used to be. Now deals in the £99 pound and under bikes (new). Its made him a lot of money though, he had a new Porsche last time i saw him.

Back