My truck is dead....Any ideas?

My cousin owned a garage in north yorkshire a few years back, the tanker driver put the wrong fuel in the wrong tanks when making a delivery. Claims aplenty! It might pay to ask a few discreet questions at the garage or with regular users.

Petrol into a modern diesel engine will probably destroy the injection pump and injectors. You can be lucky on occasions and get away with it depending on how long it drives for, how much diesel was in the tank etc.... If you are lucky then it's a simple case of drain the tank, change all the filters, and flush it all through. The worst possible case I could think of would be destroying the injection pump, injectors, changing the rail and pipes, fuel pickup, fuel tank sensor and that would normally be it. Can't think of a way that it would lead to anymore damage. £9k seems very steep!

I think I'll stick to a nice basic landrover engine!

HTH
Ed
Diesel FIE Development Engineer

if its diluted enough, it'll do no harm.

That link is worth a read - crap bearings and con rods through the side of the engine....

:shock:

Raumer":22oq2wiq said:
I think I'll stick to a nice basic landrover engine!

HTH
Ed
Diesel FIE Development Engineer

My 300 tdi has run on old chip oil and heating oil 50/50. I havent put diesel in its tank since July. In fact I gave up even bothering straining the chip oil, I just pour it straight in and change the fuel filter weekly, which at under £2 a time is hardly breaking the bank!

im a ex diesel fitter for a well know german company and there van if run on petrol would come out with a 4k bill(pumps injectors/fuel rails/pipes etc etc) but shouldnt affect the engine.

i would suggest looking on the owners forums tho as 2 of my friends have(had) navara,s (aventura spec ones) and both blew there engines (1 put a rod through the block and the other dropped a main bearing shell :evil: ) and i have heard of many more having prob with engines some with as low as 10k miles on them :shock:
i take it that the warrenty is out on this ???

rob

Guys, thanks for your help!

At the moment our insurance company are sending an inspector down to the nissan garage, verifying their findings and then taking it up with the services if what nissan say is true.

Hopefully this will mean the issue gets sorted quickly!?!?! :roll:

BTW No one can quite work out how the engines f*cked itself so badly, even nissan!!!

If you put derv in and have the receipt to prove it, I cant see as there will be any issue at all.

Be interesting to see what happens.

Keep us posted! :D

if this is going to go through insurance be very careful. aparently the modern way woth insurance is to try and dish the blame 50/50, 60/40 or whatever. they do this because they cant be bothered to sort it out properly and sometimes because bothy party's insurance is underwritten by the same underwriters. be careful

The truck was written off by the insurance company today, now we're just waiting to find out how much they want to give us...........

I hope it's not 10p....

Back