late 60s (80s refinish) Zieleman Type Special !

Congratulations, that is lovely! I've seen the Weinmann brakes for sale at cycle jumbles but never been tempted - yet!

I need the LH DuraAce crank from it's original spec!! I keep having to buy complete chainsets just for the LH one.

Did Zieleman build for any of the pro's of that era? It's not a name I see when looking at old magazine photos of races around the time.

Thanks Ned

Have the famous (notorious?) DA DynaDrive crankset on 5 :oops: of my bikes and only 1 conventional DA crankset. The one you saw. Can't let this one go, as I would like to keep it for in case I want to switch to regular pedals on one - what I could imagine very well. Could help you with a DD pair though.

Ko Zieleman supplied only paying customers. The story goes that Ko was a quite an excentric person in general. Ko didn't like the idea of sponsoring. Everyone left his shop with a frame that was paid for. Doesn't mean there were no Zielemans in the peloton ;) Quite a lot 'brand x' racers with a Zieleman chassis underneath. Cause riding characteristics were simply 2nd to none for many sponsored riders. I do not know of a particular pro riding a Zieleman made frame, but that will be just my lack of knowledge. Would be happy to learn if somebody knows.

Elev12k":33eenx0o said:
This pic should show you a transition area =>

3089976993_6c2208a0df.jpg

Got to say that blend looks flawless.

Hope the bike is hung in the living room, that is almost art :xmas-big-grin:

Any pics of the wheels?

hey mel,

regarding truing up those wheels, if i remember correctly they have hidden spoke nipples, so you need to remove the tyre or tub and rim tape and use a hexagon shaped spoke nipple tool through the rim, never seemed a problem when i've done them before but if they are as old as my old bosses were they might need some care with adjusting them due to the nipple seizing itself to the spoke.

hope that helps :D

my first roadbike was a Zieleman. it was an orange coloured one. still have the frame(bought it when i was 14 years old, now i'm 32). Had an accident with it when i was riding it for a few months. was a great racing machine. had it equipped with Campa Record parts.

After my crash it wasn't up for riding anymore. top and downtube were curled up.

maybe someday i will find one again.

butt you're bike is gorgeous. what a nice repainting.

de nederlanders weten wel wat een mooi frame is

greetz

Finally I have a PC capable of letting me view pictures again. I think I may prefer retro road bikes to MTBs? It's a close run thing when I see examples like this. What makes it even worse is that you must be about my height (183cm?) so all your builds look tailor made for me!

My only true retro road frame is coming unglued up in the loft. It is an Alan of uncertain age. My 'modern' roadie is retro in spirit built with 853. I would prefer an older frame again one day.

Latest posts

Back