SOUTHWEST Retro-ride... Sunday 4th Jan - Haldon

:D :D :D

Haven't ridden at Haldon yet. Just a couple of points I wish to raise though

1: I see wooden things on the map – does this mean we need to go all armoured up with 20" travel forks and prepare a bed in casualty ahead of arrival?

2: Didn't see mention of a pub – just thought I'd bring that up

If we're all going to start using terms like rad and big air and seesaw I might have to re-think on the grounds of taste and reason :LOL:

Seriously – I take it this is a retro ride and as such I'll be OK on a rigid or something with an equivalent level of suspension fork

Crayons":33vvqqvt said:

1: I see wooden things on the map – does this mean we need to go all armoured up with 20" travel forks and prepare a bed in casualty ahead of arrival?

If we're all going to start using terms like rad and big air and seesaw I might have to re-think on the grounds of taste and reason :LOL:

Seriously – I take it this is a retro ride and as such I'll be OK on a rigid or something with an equivalent level of suspension fork

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: there is some north-shore and stuff but its in the freeride area which is kinda separate. i ride the red route on fully rigid all the time and its fine. there's a few rocky sections and the odd drop-off but its all roll-able.

not too sure on the pub thing but there's gotta be one close by somewhere!

dirtjumper_dmr":3gplkb2c said:
Crayons":3gplkb2c said:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: there is some north-shore and stuff but its in the freeride area which is kinda separate. i ride the red route on fully rigid all the time and its fine. there's a few rocky sections and the odd drop-off but its all roll-able.

not too sure on the pub thing but there's gotta be one close by somewhere!

Agree with Dirtjumper! It'll be fine, there's loads to do up there without touching the freeride, and I'll be doing it on a rigid as well (either Stumpy or Blizzard). There's a pub near by but there's also an ace cafe that does a full English! (it's just past the gypo's and before the doggin' area. :?

If you want to come to Bristol we can put together a loop that gives a couple of hours steady riding, or possibly 1.5 hours if we give it some. Not sure what the trails are like as I've been riding the Mendips for the last few weeks, but they can get pretty beaten from the volume of use. Having said that there are some excellent less well know parts that I'd be happy to show you. :)

Don't think I can make Haldon, but like I say, happy to guide in Bristol. :D

Just to back up what tiboltrider has said - Haldon is rideable on a hardtail/retro no probs at all. The pictures of the 'shore' on Haldon Freeride site are no longer valid really, as almost all of this was trashed in the winter storms a few years ago and hence have been pulled down. The jumps are still there if that is what you are into but............

XC wise there is plenty, official and unofficial on both sides of the hill and pub/food wise, there is a coffee van in the carpark, the Haldon Cafe over by 'Telegraph Hill', the Ley Arms in Kenn, which is a biker local as there is a loop from Haldon down and there are plenty of pubs on the Teign Valley side of the hill.

I can quite happily spend several hours at a good pace up on Haldon itself, it is hilly but that is the nature of Haldon - please note it is no Afan though!

Back