Wendover Bash aftermath

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Yesterday was the Wendover Bash, details here http://www.james-walters.net/cleland/th ... -ride.html. Plenty of very interesting discussion on Highpath and Cleland here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42540

Great and extremely sociable ride, wide range of bikes (including a couple of Clelands, Max on an 84 Ritchey with panniers) and riders (including Graham showing how a gentleman rider should be attired - shirt and tie - and Geoff in wellies).

I managed a quick spin on a Cleland at the lunch stop (many thanks Graham) and although it was only a brief first impression I was struck in particular by how upright and 'short' it was compared to my bikes and also how low a pressure the tyres can be run. Very impressive is also is that it is pretty much all serviceable in the field with just an allen key and Graham agreed that an aheadset would make it even easier. A longer ride would be really interesting

Ended up riding in the dark with Geoff eschewing lights for as long as possible as it ruins the night vision :shock:

Anyway, here's a few photos

Attachments

• Cleland and Ritchey.JPG
    Cleland and Ritchey.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 4,486
  • Graham and Cleland.JPG
    Graham and Cleland.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 4,486
  • Bashers.JPG
    Bashers.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 4,486
And the RB contingent, sadly Max did not have a selection of fine cheeses in his panniers as I had hoped

Attachments

• Mercian Wendover.JPG
    Mercian Wendover.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 4,484
  • Max keeps it real.JPG
    Max keeps it real.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 4,484
The long and wending road...

Well done chaps!

Loving the Ritchey vs. Cleland geometry shot!

Mr K

PS. Even got Max in a photo - rare indeed... ;-)

First UK ride?

First UK ride?

This started as a RoughStuff ride way-way back, but this ride was led by British mountain bike pioneer, Geoff Apps. About 1982 the character of the ride changed as the bikes designed by Geoff were going where RoughStuff bikes and riders couldn,t. The first, modern style, all-terrain bike ride was born. It has continued every December since then.

:?: 650B Revival :?:
Many of the original Cleland bikes have, long since, either run out of spares or their owners retired from riding or simply lost touch. One major problem with Clelands, the availability if suitable 650b tyres, is steadily improving. Hopefully, with the help of sites like RetroBike, we can track down many more early bikes and get them back, off-road.

Attachments

• 1988 Highpath Cleland.jpg
    1988 Highpath Cleland.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 4,440
Re: The long and wending road...

mrkawasaki":3p1bff9w said:
Well done chaps!

Loving the Ritchey vs. Cleland geometry shot!

Mr K

PS. Even got Max in a photo - rare indeed... ;-)

Hmm, which is rarer, Max in action or me taking a decent photo?

First UK ride?

Cleland riders use mudguards to keep their clothing clean.

:( The tweed jackets and deerstalkers that the American pioneers wore, must have ended up in a right state. :(

:shock: Of course I know that Americans don't wear pith helmets, so "pith helmet' stain" wouldn't concern them. :shock:

Attachments

• DSC00528A.jpg
    DSC00528A.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 4,435
First UK ride?

More pic's...

Attachments

• DSC00561A.jpg
    DSC00561A.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 4,428
  • DSC00549A.jpg
    DSC00549A.jpg