Hello

Steve G

Dirt Disciple
Just a quick hello. I registered on here as I am now looking after my Grandfathers road race bike but I used to ride BMX's. I'm lucky that I used to look after them a lot and still have them. The last bike I had was Ripper and apart from a couple of bits and new tyres it's as it was in the early 80's. I have also go back my previous bike which my Brother had. It's a Redline MX II. This needs a bit of work to get it up to scratch but it was re-powdered about 10 years ago and hasn't been used since.

Lhsidenice.jpg

Lovely bike.

Re. the brakes: It looks to have a front with Potts Mod cable routing; a rear caliper AND a coaster?

DM":2yua5mjk said:
Lovely bike.

Re. the brakes: It looks to have a front with Potts Mod cable routing; a rear caliper AND a coaster?

Cheers for the comments. Yes 3 brakes. Bob Haro thought it was a good idea so I wasn't about to argue !
Coaster useful for doing back hops, kick turns and rolling backwards without the pedals moving. Front brake for front hops etc. I fitted the pots mod and modified the brake to do it so I recently re-fitted it that way as I couldn't put the brake back to original. One plus point is that you can't clout the frame with the brake adjuster if the wheel goes that way.

I stopped riding before pegs became common and the way a lot of tricks were done changed then. I think it made having a coaster less important.

A coaster brake is fitted into the rear hub and is applied when you pedal backwards. Handy as all you need to do is lean on the back foot and the rear wheel is virtually locked. If you position the pedals correctly you can roll backwards without the crank rotating.

Steve G":2xn4nybb said:
A coaster brake is fitted into the rear hub and is applied when you pedal backwards. Handy as all you need to do is lean on the back foot and the rear wheel is virtually locked. If you position the pedals correctly you can roll backwards without the crank rotating.

You can then do stuff like on this vid:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8U4_C4RQUC0

Thats about it although I think you can pedal backwards with a freecoaster and there isn't a brake.

I don't think that guy is running any brakes by the look of it !

i think loads run brakeless nowadays...eeehh, the youth of today. it werent like that in my day :LOL:

Back