Boiler Engineers?

retrojon":u9ccrsre said:
Second that - get another quote.

I love boiler conversations, they are so polarised. You get the death camp, where even daring to look under the cover will kill you, your family, and everyone within a 10 mile radius. Then you get the fiddle with everything lot.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: thanks that gave me a good chuckle ;)

retrojon":2jmlbhdg said:
Then you get the fiddle with everything lot.

That's me! and i get paid to do it, Simod and I look forward to the times when we do delayed ignition testing, basically we bypass all the safety features, and pump the thing full of gas and ignite it manually :cool:

Just to make sure it's safe, should the worse happen.

ATB

John

If your motto:
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'"

is also used for boiler testing I hope that all your neighbours are over 50 yards away.

Otherwise theirs may be:
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, after some berk nearby struck a light and yelled 'WOW-What a Ride!' "

I guess its a question of evaluating your own competency and the risks. Most people are sensible enough to be able to do this. Those that arn't competant are probably not going to listen to good advice anyway.

I was designing central heating systems and installing them many year before corgi resistration was introduced. Self trained never blown anyone up yet .I have however rectified poor and unsafe installtions that have been istalled by so called trained qualified and corgi registered installers.
Qualifications and training are no assurance of competancy unfortunately.

Great to see people giving tips about something they don't know anything about

Changing a thermocouple is easy with the right tools (rounding off the base nut is not the way to go) and the right knowledge

Can it go wrong yes but mainly on getting the correct seal on the bolier case again .... if the thermo if not in contact it just won't work and the pilot light will not light

In short the thermo is a flame detection device if no flame then the gas will not pass into the main burner
I was plumber for years and still turn my hand now and again ... would I suggest a novice to do this
NOPE !!!
Get somebody proper in to do the work they can give your bolier a service as well and it all be good ..... a service once a year could pay for itself as you won't have access to the proper tools to make sure the bolier is running as best it can

Back