Readers Bike Date Split

I like the idea of having 2 sections for the bikes .

I understand the site is called Retrobike , but most of us have interest in cycling in general , not just retrobike .
With the site growing so much it has become more a general cycling website where we like to spend time dicussing all bikes , not just retrobikes .

and I am with Jezz on 2005 parts on 1992 frames . I have done it in the past and hated it . If it has modern parts , stick it in the modern bit .

minor bits of mine are newer than 1997. but the spirit is pure 1996,

my hubs, rims and rear derailleur are all "too new", but this just reflects the fact it's a rider.

it's all about the spirit imho

jez-4-bikes-max":diaoo94h said:
As far as I'm concerned a retro frame with modern bits just isnt retro. It just isnt interesting, and it shouldnt be in here - no one will be interested anyway...

There was an early or mid 90's GT on here recently with modern kit on it that had quite a bit of interest.

Anyway i think the new system is more than fair and should keep everyone happy, for a wee while anyway :LOL:

And nearly all my bikes fall into the former "Retro" date including one with full suspension, disc brakes, riser bars and black wall tyres :D

Personal Thoughts

There are wildly differing contemporary interpretations and usages of the word 'retro' flying around - it's here that most of our problems relating to this issue stem.

For example, it's probably fair to say that the MTBR (American) view of the word 'retro' refers to the retrofitting of aftermarket parts onto a stock bike, and therefore is often deemed to be a negative activity over a stock build-up (as seen in their often confused view of our BoTM). However it was an essential part of our period culture, regardless of the fact that most of that US-designed and manufactured bling was shockingly bad and expensive!

In the UK most of us here utilise the word to describe a nostalgic period in the European development of mountain biking as an activity, sport and business. This usage has been further tacitly refined through the early days of the site but had yet to be clarified into a date - as it is necessarily a subject of, fairly futile, debate.

Remember that 'retro' has entered the broader public consciousness through things like 'retrogaming'; Eightis parties and even retro cars - where magazines extol the virtues of taking a classic car and applying modern race engines and suspension. This used to be customising or hotrodding but has morphed into something peculiarly British. This wider usage is not what retrobiking is within the context of this forum - in this sense, it is not a broad church, nor should it be. But as the site gets more registrations inevitably drifts towards a 'younger' set of memories. The moderators are right to sharpen the focus of this site and this iterative process may be the cause of friction and flashpoints. These are sadly inevitable but isolated cases, but the buck has to be stopped by somebody!

So a date has been deemed necessary - as I see it, it's purely a functional tool and not worth splitting hairs about (unless you're so inclined). My understanding then is that all frames manufactured up to (and including) 1997 can be considered 'retro' here and are expected to have, wherever possible, period parts. This is what I have always expected when checking in - it's just never been put down in black and white before. Remember, if you are a fan of, for example, retro DH machines, then why not start a dedicated forum? Take this site as an inspiration and develop it up - it would be fantastic to see.

Mr K

Maybe an idea to introduce 2 catagories:

- pure classic (bits and bike, pre 1995)

- grey area

And to an option in our Profiles to check a box that does allow you to select whether or not you like to see the 'grey category' appear in the forums :)

I would check the box ''Dump all non vintage content from the forums, thank you'' with pleasure.

there are only so many parts on yer average bike,
If the majority of the build is post '97 it goes in the newer section.
If the majority of the build is pre '97 it goes in the older section.

Where do you find singlespeeds sitting in all this? Theres a big love/hate thang going on with them. Innocent query. :)

I would say singlespeed is a post 1995 concept/hype, so it fits neatly in the grey/dump category.

cchris2lou":2n1x14rb said:
I understand the site is called Retrobike , but most of us have interest in cycling in general , not just retrobike .
With the site growing so much it has become more a general cycling website where we like to spend time dicussing all bikes , not just retrobikes .

I dsagree, and not that anyone should really care, but I don't like the idea of splitting the readers bikes. Retrobike should be retro bikes. Who really gives a hoot about looking at new bikes on a retro board? One of the cool concepts implied in a dedicated site, is that the retro way is the best way, and I think that providing for a group for newer stuff dilutes the message. Unless there is some retro tie-in, IE the reintroduction of a once defunct brand like EWR to the market, new bikes have no business on the board. You're the Big-Cheese, John, so just my 2 cents...

MTBR is a total pain in the ass because there are little segmented fiefdoms all over the place for each vague individual microcosm of mountain bikes. Don't let that happen here!

Ridemonkey, Pinkbike, MTBR...blahblahblah. Keep Retrobike different!:D

Back