Boiler Engineers?

Do Not touch your boiler unless you have Corgi registration
Get it wrong and you could kill your self and your family

Everyone remembers the family that died on Xmas Eve through leaking gas settling under the house
Ok he didnt attempt to fix his supply and it was an unlucky ,undetected leak
But the results can be the same
Mind what the thermo actually does
Prevents gas from escaping if the pilot goes out,if you fu** up ....
In fact i dont want to continue in case you try it anyway

NO NO NO

boxxer":1dqspprs said:
Well for me a burst heat exchanger means £1800 is literally up in smoke
why ? a new combi boiler can be bought for less than £750. :shock:
suggest you get another quote for a replacement boiler

The danger is not really in leaking gas (which is vdery nasty and dangerous) but Carbon Monoxide. Opening the boiler to get to the thermocouple breaks the hermetic seal between the boiler combustion chamber and house.

If you don't know what you are doing, don't fiddle. It's just not worth it. Carbon Monoxide is colourless and odourless. The only way you detect it is by falling asleep. For £70 or so for a gas fitter's visit it's worth paying.

And yes I used to have an Industrial Gas Certificate.

Second that - get another quote.

I love boiler conversations, they are so polarised. You get the death camp, where even daring to look under the cover will kill you, your family, and everyone within a 10 mile radius. Then you get the fiddle with everything lot.

I draw the line at inspecting, cleaning and changing the thermocouple.

A carbon monoxide alarm is a good buy. Moved into a new flat once and stuck an alarm up. It went off straight away. Turned out the 3 star service from you know who involved not servicing anything.

hamster":33vfziuc said:
If you don't know what you are doing, don't fiddle. It's just not worth it. Carbon Monoxide is colourless and odourless. The only way you detect it is by falling asleep. For £70 or so for a gas fitter's visit it's worth paying.

well said that man. dont mess with a boiler unless you ARE QUALIFIED to deal with it!

richie-t":2i261br9 said:
well said that man. dont mess with a boiler unless you ARE QUALIFIED to deal with it!

Theres another school of thought that says
'don't give advise on something about which you know absolutely nothing' :LOL:

Back