98 trailstar

perry

Retrobike Rider
figured it was about time i registered and showed you lot this . i realised a couple of days ago that i had inadvertently specced it as a late 90s jump bike :LOL:

but that was when i was having the most fun on mountain bikes , been riding since 94 but that was bmx , so at the end of the 90s when i got interested in mtb i took inspiration from the increasingly overbuilt bmx of the late 90s so i missed out on the lightweight purpleness but saw it out in the woods :cool: but could never afford it :(

so heres my mk1 dmr trailstar , distinguishable by its lack of aps canti mounts and its horizontal dropouts with english thread BB instead of the later option of either having the horizontals with american BB or vertical with threaded , although its not the first one they made which didnt have disc mounts

100_0531.jpg

i had one of these back when but it wasnt as nice and i regretted selling it :(

funny really that ive put parts on it that i wouldave given the chance 10 years ago :LOL:

the cable is too long :oops: but thats because i pretty much changed the frame straight over and a few parts when my kona decided to drop its chain pedaling hard UP A HILL and break 3 of my fingers :roll:

Picturexfvbcbvcvb007-1.jpg

but ive got a hope closed 2pot to go on the rear when ive built a better wheel

its painted in dulux finest vanilla cream :LOL: but thats because i no longer have anywhere to spray things , and it lives in the house :D

forks are 98 z1 bombers
rear v is a shimano m600 98 lx
stem is a steve peat signature xlite
azonic bars
hope mini front
mavic d521 with deore hub
profile seatclamp
98 dmr v8 dx style pedals ( before they made their own mould ) ive also got some v12
lx hollowtec2 but when the weather picks up ill put on my middleburns

100_0536.jpg

its currently 44-16 ( always pushed a big gear ) giving 70.8 GI for those that care about such things :LOL:

100_0533.jpg

100_0534.jpg

100_0535.jpg

thats the mrs bike that also only has the one gear :LOL: but im in the process of putting together a better one for her

Welcome.

Really like the DMR.

Often thought a 26'' wheeled bmx/mtb cross would be ACE.

Love the forks - well specced.

M

Lovely bike

IMO the DMR is one of the bikes that really pushed the MTB jump/freeride scene forwards

Trailstar looks sweet :D
mine is in jump build and staying that way now... singlespeed, single brake, 100mm fork set so hard it barely gives :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I got hacked off constantly changing the set-up between F/R and jump so I'm just gonna buy a freeride bike
:LOL:

cheers fellas :D

i think ill change the fork back to the trailblades and save the bombers seals over the winter ( left leg leaks a bit as it is )

plus i want to go back to rigid :LOL:

managed to get a hub cheap an hour ago and a rim ive got my eye on ends soon , then once ive bought a better chain and white industries freewheel ill be able to put the middleburns on it

if i close my eyes and think really hard thisl get whisked to general tat ;)

might come up with some new pics of it with less dirt and a few different parts if i can be bothered :LOL:

yes , yes it is :cool:

a very very keen eye you have :D

id wanted one since i started riding in 94 but alas couldnt afford it :( and as the years went by i got more current bikes at the time ( holmes , blackbike , metal burma etc ) spotted it on ebay and decided i must realise the dream :LOL: alex leech reckons its a 96 but it could be anything between 94-98 as its 1 1/8 , ad mounts and 22.2

its been badly ground out to 14mm :roll: :evil: and the aqua paint isnt to my taste or in anyway aplied well but it might end up either the same vanilla cream as the trailstar or black

id like to get some dirtbike decals for it too as someone thought it was a felt one day at bulwell track :cry:

parts are a mix of stuff i had and stuff that was cheap :LOL: bars are s&m race , forks are s&m race from alans old race bike and a mate gave me the redneck many many years ago

im currently using the cranks on my trailstar

100_0476.jpg

I had what I believe was a 98 Trailstar, bought it second hand so unsure of exact age but frame looks the same as yours. I used it for a hack around bike for local woods and DH type stuff. It was just a bit to small for me though so in the end I replaced the frame with my Inbred which is perfect as its small enough for what I did on the Dmr but I can get full saddle height for longer stuff. I sold the frame to my friend who has a Sidekick and he now uses it as his main bike. The 2nd photo is him on his Sidekick but he now does all his jumping on my old Trailstar. I never got it more than about 2 foot off the ground heh :D

Pic of when I had it

inter_CIMG0256.JPG

Leigh3.jpg

crikey. the DB does look well - i dont mind the colour but i reckon they always look nicest in red, black or chrome with the shield padset! :D
i've got a 93 (i think) 1" with a set of ditch forks, original redneck (the one with the huge shaft! prince albert i think!) and a set of g-sport fat shaft hubs sat in the garage awaiting some love... ideally i'd like to get some slams and original pitchs for it and make it more of a race/trails set up:D

Back