Work bikes

this is the workhorse:
At the mo it is has race face flat bars, profile bar ends, v12 copy pedals and city contact tyres...try and get up to date pic tomorrow.

I want to change it though to either single speed or single ring up front with a close ratio block and road rear mech....or maybe i should just build up a cheap fixie and keep this as is????

PS..this is pic is the one from the prev owner when it was on ebay.
marin1.jpg

I hate the paint job too....
I've got a full set of xtr brakes and levers to go on when i get chance

re:

go 1x8 (or 9) and send thoose xtr units to me:) Just shorten the chain a bit if you decide to go 1x9 so it doesn't play around that much, and you'l be fine...

I've had this GT from new in about 1990, it's been languishing utterly knackered unloved for the past few years. I've built it up as an 8x1 on the cheap to get to work and back on. I finished it last night. The pic's from today's shakedown run, 25 miles up and down the roads of the South Downs, you can just see Canary Wharf in the background.

Frame: GT Timberline - Plain gauge Ishiwata 4130 chromo main tubes, gas pipe stays

Fork: Spinner (GT Branded)

Headset: Shimano 105 threaded (My god is this a crap headset!)
Stem: GT
Handlebar: GT
Grips: PRO

Brakes: Dia-Compe X1 Fluro canti front Shimano Exage Mountain rear U-brake.
Brake Pads: Koolstop Eagle
Cantilever cable hangers: Dia-Compe front, Shimano rear
Brake Levers: Dia-Compe PC-700 (Thank you Kaiser)

Shifters: Shimano LX 8 speed shifter (Thank you Mousemat)
Rear Derailleur: Modern Shimano Deore
Cassette: Deore XT
Chain: Sram
Cranks: Shimano 300LX
Chainrings: 38T
Chainring bolts: Zenith (Single chainring specific from cyclebasket.com)
Pedals: Shimano 505

Hub Skewers: Deore XT
Rims: Rigidia DP-22
Hubs: Deore XT
Nipples: hee hee hee
Tyres: Hutchinson 1" slick front, Conti slick rear
(Thank you to Harryburgundy for the wheels, tyres and casette.)

Saddle: Sele Italia Sprint (mmm suede)
Seatpost: Selcof
Seatpost Binder:Campagnolo

Attachments

• Timberline.JPG
    Timberline.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 4,221
Lovin' your timberline man. :cool:

Really different looking with those deep section rims and slicks. You can't beat those old GT splatter paint jobs, I had a '91 (I think) timberline for awhile which was white with a black/blue splatter.

:oops: Thank you

I only put those wheels on 'cos they were advertised at the right time, right price, decent hubs etc. They are very, very stiff, roll brilliantly and they're a wicked set of wheels. I know it's only a low end GT but I'm seriously chuffed with how slick the whole build feels.

One small flaw in my wheel choice, none of my spare tubes have valves long enough to fit the deep rims. There you go, I've tempted fate, better go and buy some spares for it. Sod's law means I'll never get a flat if I do :roll:

That is nice, its like that fleck stone spray from b+q :LOL: nah really cool.

AC have you seen the avalanche for sale in the for sale thread?

kaiser":2swly3hd said:
its like that fleck stone spray from b+q

The splatter finish hides a multitude of sins, there's more than a few splatters of hammerite dribbled on to cover chips and rust spots!

I haven't Kaiser. I've had a wee quick look through and cannae see it.

Gotta restate my love for those wheels on the timberline, I do like a bit of deep section. ;) :LOL:

Latest posts

Back