biggest crash EVER!

On my Raven over Kielder way. Wet singletrack, slight kink, everyone else braked for it, i took it flat out..... :roll: :LOL:
Lost the front wheel, somehow got it back, then lost the back wheel, wasn't overly concerned until it hit something in the grass and wiped out the front wheel :roll:
Result was me skidding along on my left hip, i've still got the scar 8yrs later. I won't post the photos, a half naked me isn't a pretty thing :LOL:

1 - swerved to avoid a car whilst going down hill, and went into the hedgerow, that was fill of stinging nettals, and it was mid summer and all I had on was a pair of cycling shorts.

2 - Went to bunny hop a curb and missed ended up using my face to stop with.

3 - Jumped down stairs on my way out for a ride hit my head on the artexed cealing striping of a chunk of flesh,down to the bone.

4 - hit 2 car doors with no damage, one in a sainsburys car park whilst out shoping on a friday evening, she paid for my shoping to appologise, ended up going out with her for a few weeks. The other out side a train station.

5 - Stuck a chain ring into my leg, (several times)

1) Broke collarbone after failing to land a table top.

2) Major scars and flesh wounds to my arms and hip (stitches x many) after rubbing myself against a road for a few metres (Tshirt)

Got serious injuries out of the way on motorcycle when I was 20 - ditched the engine for pedal power and have got away with most things since.

Commuting - best ever crash location:
Riding past Kings Hospital in SE London, 20mph, schoolgirl steps out from in front of bus, slammed on brakes, flew over her with bike attached and landed on my face. Scooped off the road by nurses on way to work and deposited in A&E! A bit of surgery and stuff and no broken bones!

I have had much worse, potentially life threatening situations, from road rage drivers

I've been pretty lucky so far. My worst was on the way home from school (yep, a while ago now). Was out of the saddle, pushing hard in top gear on a long hill. Probably doing 20-25 mph. Was just approaching a roundabout when the worn rings/chain decided to jump a few teeth, sending me straight down. Luckily it was a wet road so instead of the surface shredding me, it allowed me to slide all the way across the roundabout (thank god there were no cars there), up a driveway kerb and then wrapped myself around a lamppost, still holding onto the bike.

Wouldn't have been that bad, apart from the fact that the school bus full of my mates was right behind me and they all saw it happen. I got up, took a bow, then sat down again for a while.

No injuries luckily. I rode home (slowly) about 5 mins later.

My best crash was very damaging to an unusual area of the bike but not really to me.
Whilst attempting to cross a deep but very narrow valley by charging down one side in order to charge up the other with sufficient momentum it all went pete tong. The compression at the bottom of the dip was so severe on my rigid bike that I acted like a spring compressing hard into my bike then rebounding completely out of shape. I flew through the air and landed upside down in the brambles and nettles. When I extracted myself, found my bike and examined it I found the seat had gone missing !
Eventually the seat was found and I realised in the buttock clenching fear of the crash I had ripped the seat clean off the post destroying the rails and seat clamp in the process :shock:
Thankfully not a long trek home :LOL:

Had a few big ones, 30mph over the Innerleithen DH road jump as the front wheel washed out couldn't clear the bike and got well tangled in it - bust my knee pretty good.

Stacked at Dunkeld into a root, over the bars and according to the marshal, face first into the biggest rock at the side of the track, smashed the fat pads in my elbows which means one is smaller than the other. Wrote off a brand new D2

Massive off at Fort Bill over the bars, went about 30ft out and 10ft up before landing in a bog - that crash cracked a D521, bent a pair of Azonic DH bars and snapped a King lower headset cup.

Over jumped a table top at inners on the Motorway section near the bottom, must have hit it at easily 35 mph and went way further than planned, landed two wheel drifting which as you know can only disobey physics for so long, pinged off and went sliding down the track on my chest armour and the bike kindly finished me off

But the ultimate was

Broke my Manitou 1 steerer in the street, fractured my skull, broke my nose, mauled my knuckles and almost broke my jaw - now if I change anything out on a bike the first ride is always full face

friday march 7th 1997
riding home from work on my (dont laugh) trek 820 (nice green one at that :cool: ) when i came up to a round about nothing there so i keep going when this dump bint comes out of the left junction doing 40 mph in her fiat punto
exit me stage right :evil:
woke up face 2 inches off the kerb and do the wiggle of fingers/toes all ok
then stand up (turns out this was not a good idea!!!!!!!!!) then hear a real loud crunch in my neck and back fall over again!!!
wake up in hospital with split left knee cap, dislocated left shoulder o and a broken neck and back :shock:
8 months later finish the traction process then just 2 more years of physio :p fun times
the worst thing about all of this is on the 8th of march i had a pro rugby tryout to go to :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
o and her insurance company gave me a carrera to replace the trek (was a better ride tho :oops: )

wasnt the best day of my life but im still here so its not all bad ;)
rob

Back