Snow - Why cant people drive?

gibbleking":a4kicpgi said:
worst winter i had was 82 and it hit -30.dad got called out on exercise at 1 in the morning.....gotta love german winters....winds come bouncing all the way thru the hertz mountains and wallop ya right in the mush.rivers would freeze solid and get used as carparks ...try that for cold.we would get 4 ft of snow in as many hours .....miss those days....humpf :roll:

Ah, another army kid then ;) Winters over there were great weren't they :D I remember living in Minden and riding our BMX's on the canal
[ not like the canals here btw much much wider] We used to ride for miles on them too, also the snow used to get to about 6feet deep in paces. Now all i get is rain :( You been to the hertz mountains too, would be a great place to ride hey ;)

Someone brought up schools closing when it snowed, mine used to close in the winter cos we were up in the Pennines.....it was best for the buses to come in and get the kids home before several feet of snow later in the day prevented them! Roads closed quite often, especially the cross-pennine A66 up at Bowes.

Rang my mum today and we were talking about the snow, Barney's had about 5 inches although rain is now forecast...saying that the newbies are so excited to see it all, yet the old towne (sic) lot remember the days when the town used to be almost completely cut off when it snowed and indeed the backouts too. But...when you're a kid you don't care, you go out and go sledging down the Demesnes instead - Yayyyyyyy!!!

forces brat till i die mate in order of places i got moved too....wasenberg,dannenberg,celle.(last was nice but dannenberg much more interesting cos of east german border down the road).went to gloucester school in hohne from 79 to 83.grenville at trenchyard barracks before that.bavaria and the hertz mountains is where we went camping with the school.old man is a signals(ew section) plus mil intl section......(cant spell iran.....they used a q instead).....hes still in but only the odd job.......how about you heathy? :cool:

Dortmund, Osnabruck [ 20 story block of flats ] Celle, Lemgo, Minden and Rinteln. From 73-85 Used to go on cub scout camps to the Hertz Mtns always a brill time ;) I was young then and have vague memories of them, like i said would be great for a ride.

I remember a major (for the UK anyway) snow day about 3 or 4 years back. We had a couple of IT guys over from Norway who were taking the piss out of how us brits deal with the snow. That backfired when it took them 8 hours to get from Northampton to Heathrow :LOL: Took me 45 minutes to get 6 rows up the car park, at which point I reparked, then walked to the pub after realising that I wasn't going anywhere in the car.

Last year the snow was quite fun. I had an Audi S2 quattro. 265bhp and a lockable rear diff for sideways action. It'll be different this year. I've now got FWD and a torque curve that goes from 0 to 290+ lb/ft in the space of about 500 rpm. I shall be sick of that little traction control light...

So far we have had no snow at all! :cry: When we do get snow it's time to take the landie out and I actually get to overtake people! Although last time we had snow I was getting overtaken by people hammering along as if it was a dry day! :shock: Always make sure that I have the tow rope with me just in case!

My brother phoned yesterday to say that they had tons of snow. His wife took their little boy to school. Up a nice steep hill in her Hillman Imp. Turned around at the top and halfway down there was a new Subaru Impreza stopped. They guy was complaining that with all his fancy electronic diffs and 4wd he couldn't do the same thing that a 40 year old car could! :LOL: :LOL: Rear engined and rear wheel drive is great fun for snowy hills! :cool:

Regards
Ed

The last time we had snow, a couple of years ago, my neighbour ended up asking me to rescue her son from school in the next town. She only had a little Peugeot that couldn't cope :roll:, whereas I've got a Mitsubishi L200 pick-up truck that did it with ease!! :cool:

I say bring on the white stuff, I wanna go play!! :LOL:

Back