Area Groups Section- Suggestion box and requests

I'm with REKIBorter on this one. At our last (and thus far only) South West meet we had people from Bristol and Devon and there weren't that many of us. Not that I imagine some hypothetical border drawn on a map somewhere would keep us apart for future rides…

Do like the 12 regions idea though, we could each have a bike of the month comp, with the overall winners from each region being put forward for overall site honours – might get a chance to win one then :D

I must admit to preferring Rekiborter's too as it splits east from west midlands. I'm not trying to score a cheap point here, but it seems a natural split from the time I've spent here (the last 8 years).

The Ken":1qiitkpy said:
would it not make more sense to combine the top of area 3 with 4 and then 5 with the bottom of 3, that way Lancashire and Yorkshire could be together at last :)

As a Yorkshireman, I have to dissaprove of this suggestion!

would it not make more sense to combine the top of area 3 with 4 and then 5 with the bottom of 3, that way Lancashire and Yorkshire could be together at last

oh yeah! and we'll chuck Germany in with Great Britain shall we! Sacrilege!

Do you not have to think about drive times for regional meets?

Take the south - west area using Reki's map, that'll be a good 4 hours from the tip of Cornwall to the bottom of Brum!!

Or am i missing the point? :oops:

The northern region on Rekiborter's map is a problem too- a member in Berwick upon Tweed will be a 460 mile round trip away from Chester in the bottom corner of the same area. Also if you add 2 to Wales and 2 to Scotland you have 11 areas not 12 ( I presume London becomes South East ).
Now I know that areas to the North of London won't normally be classed as south east but are an easier drive to the South East areas than a long non motorway slog over to Norwich and the Fenlands.

This is certainly progress though, keep the ideas, maps and debating going and we'll have it sorted in no time- it's always going to be a compromise but we'll find ahappy medium eventually.

Si

REKIBorter":1lk155it said:
Why not use the traditional regions we are all familiar with, if someone asked which region I live in I would answer East Anglia, not the South East.

Once again Scotland & Wales need to be chopped up, North & South Wales, Scottish Lowlands & Highlands, London could be included in the South East Region. 12 regions for 12 months of the year.

Suits me. I'm smack-on the south west/east border so can do both :D

Are you guys thinking of travelling times as mentioned by someone above or just physical distance? A hour up the M1 or M6 is much different to a hour up the Northern most part of the A1 or cross country over the Pennines for instance.
If the East Anglia region is to take Northants and Bedfordhire as you suggest it's going to be a long haul up to North Lincolnshire and Picklesville. I've counted up and although I'm on my forth Stella I'm still only getting eleven area groups.

Si

Dr S":27uysxmu said:
The northern region on Rekiborter's map is a problem too- a member in Berwick upon Tweed will be a 460 mile round trip away from Chester in the bottom corner of the same area.

Si

That's the same with the original map too surely? I still think the three northern English regions make no sense logistically. It would make far more sense to split region 3 between regions 4 & 5.

As for 'historical differences' that might make this difficult, living in Shropshire I do far more riding in North Wales than th West Mids. and we've been fighting with each other much loner than you lot have! :D ;)

Back