The "HOW NOT TO ASSEMBLE A RETROBIKE" Thread.

rwm1962":1kr1axuw said:
Is the 2nd one a 'build' though?

Call it what you will, its not NOS, it didn't leave the factory with those tyres, cables, pedals, grips etc. Its "a who done it...." :LOL:

Even if the first one was the same price I’d still go for the second one

Re:

Hmmm contrary...to whatever the seller has done to the bike and people’s opinions ...some of these comments have made me want to vomit. I left school years ago and some of these comments are just bitchy bullying behind people’s backs .....school playing field anyone ...each to there own

Re:

I learned this lesson back before school, back when I was a 4-year-old punk with no star. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdLPe7X ... e=emb_logo

Now I'm a 60-year-old punk with at least a half dozen A-Stars, and I think it's interesting how many of these bikes are brought back to life in various imaginative ways. :)

Stock or custom,
original or repaint,
50-lb off-road dirt-eating monster with modern disc brakes and a massive downhill fork with gobs of travel
or 15-lb street-specific single-speed fixie with no brakes and rigid fork.

Vive la Difference!
It's your thing. Do what you wanna do.
All I ask is that you keep posting them here for my (our?) viewing enjoyment.
:cool:

Re:

Hear!Hear!
Well I reckon any newbie reading this would think twice about posting a retro mod build thread.Which is a shame.
Fortunately it's not a totally one sided debate but a bit negativity and fishing/biting/having the last word.Could make it look like we refuse to accept anything that doesn't fit within a limited range of view,instead choosing to slag it to death in case it's catching.
Possibly a bit elitist and obtuse.Or,dare I say it,....snobby? :facepalm: The site thrives on opinions/banter but the other stuff is a bit embarrassing.
Wouldn't it be a bit boring if we all stuck to 'the norm' and never entertained something out of the box?Pioneering spirit,rich tapestry n all that?I'm sure this subject has played out many times on here.
Love a proper mint original build myself.Recently restored a very low mileage 95% original '92 Cro Mega DX.Also was inspired by a few retro-mod Trek OCLV builds.After seeing the good,bad n ugly I ended up building a cross-era bike ('96-current) which is the best looking,best performing bike (in it's field) I've ever owned.Absolutely love it,for me it's a perfect blend of old/new/practicality/compatibility/looks. :xmas-cool: But I'm sure not for everyone.
I wouldn't build as he/she has but builds like that are very personal and bespoke.I can't see ano and paint together.Can just about bear the top caps on my 00's Fox forks! Interesting to see what works in a practical sense and aesthetically,see how engineering issues are overcome.I'm sure a lot of thought/time/effort has gone into it and looks like some pretty nice,neat workmanship.Just as likely to inspire someone as an original build,of which there are many,many more.
As mentioned,the frame has not been butchered,has been preserved for a good few years to come and I'm sure will turn a few heads in a positive way.
As for value it'll either sell,or more likely stay.Up to them.There's many of us on here (myself included) who have 'wasted' a lot of money on a dream.....in other people's eyes.Family in particular.Anyone else spent the kids' dinner money on metal polish?
Have noticed a bit of tetchiness here n there,not the norm I know.Here's to open minded,constructively critical,banter ridden discussion and tolerance.Bit of a warmer atmosphere.
And bring on the fillet-brazed carbon,triple u braked,drop bar downhill 69ers.With bells on.

Back