Snow - Why cant people drive?

Not very common, but really not needed either. Think they are getting slightly more common now adays. I think the problem is that people just panic to much, and drive far to fast with the revs too high.

cherrybomb":23i9le2c said:
magas":23i9le2c said:
are winter tyres widly used in the UK during this period of year ?

No.

Which gives you a good idea about how frequently we see bad snow.

I can't get me head round people sometimes. They either drive at walking pace at the slightest sign of snow flakes OR race along at 100mph sitting two foot off the bumper of the car in front when you can't see your hand in front of your face.

Go figure. :?

Personally, these are my winter tyres....

post-14027-1215619364.jpg

(and my summer tyres too for that matter :D ).

Nice............... They would look a bit silly on my Vectra though

s_zigmond":2xjaucw6 said:
Not very common, but really not needed either. Think they are getting slightly more common now adays. I think the problem is that people just panic to much, and drive far to fast with the revs too high.

You could be right there. The SAAB was pulling 103 mph at 6,700 rpm on the back lane. I do like driving in snow!

By the way, it's front wheel drive ;)

Dr S":3khnu70a said:
s_zigmond":3khnu70a said:

You could be right there. The SAAB was pulling 103 mph at 6,700 rpm on the back lane. I do like driving in snow!

:LOL:

greenfinger":1902x0ce said:
Dr S":1902x0ce said:
s_zigmond":1902x0ce said:

:LOL:

I used to love my Saab in the snow. Those Swedes are clever folk when it comes to snow.

Although 3 ltres of turbo charge diesel power through the front wheels works quite well in this weather.

no skill to it . when men were men they had to thaw their carbs before even getting in the car and that was only after getting past the frozen door lock

now they just press a few buttons on a key fob from the centrally heated house and wait for the seats to reach the right temperature before they venture out into the wilderness of the front garden . power steering this , abs guided that . first hint of a rise to the heartbeat and a sudden flinch brings it all back into line

saab are made by aviation engineers arnt they ;)

I had to laugh this morning when someone told me their ABS must be broken because their car skidded into a kerb. I tried to explain that you need grip for ABS to work. They failed to understand whjy

s_zigmond":1xpmod1d said:

winter tyres do also outperform pure summer tyres at temperatures below plus 10°C in terms of roadholding and breaking performance - so it dont need to have snow on the streets to use them ;)

magas":124galmr said:
winter tyres do also outperform pure summer tyres at temperatures below plus 10°C in terms of roadholding and breaking performance

In that case we should have them fitted all year round.
I never realized there were temperatures ABOVE 10°C . :shock: :shock:

Back