Delta-Sportive frame? Help?

Tried to see if there was any chance of the DS builder still being around. Sadly I was informed by a good friend of his that he now lives in a home and contact is not possible.

From the frame number you posted I would hazard a guess that it was built in 1984? If so it would have been quite 'advanced' at the time.

Re: Re:

Lintel26":3a3ee623 said:
Thanks for your update - out of interest who was the DS main builder?

Thanks

J
I mentioned it in a previous post. His name is Geoff Davis and he was a one man operation. Probably working in his shed!

Re:

Hi all,

Update on the frame.

Thanks for all your thoughts up until now. I have been in contact with the MKM info point and have confirmation the bike was built by Steve Ellsworth after his MKM days, built on 5th. February 1984 and was custom built for trade (Delta Sportive).

The bike is now closer to being built up so will add pics when she is back on the road.

Thanks

J

Lintel26":2mfdw2s9 said:
Hi all,

Update on the frame.

Thanks for all your thoughts up until now. I have been in contact with the MKM info point and have confirmation the bike was built by Steve Ellsworth after his MKM days, built on 5th. February 1984 and was custom built for trade (Delta Sportive).

The bike is now closer to being built up so will add pics when she is back on the road.

Thanks

J

If Steve built it it'll be a good 'un! He built for himself and the trade late 80's. I had a Lo-Pro of his through Mel Bentley and went to his Thorpe Arch workshop to sort out the spec.

Re:

Yes. This frame was built in 1984 by Steve Elsworth at his Thorpe Arch facility. It was built up into a TT bike which I used from 1985 - 1989. It was a great bike, stiff, light and, well, the short wheelbase did the trick for me and I had my best season ever in 1985 with 13 wins in open events. Life got in the way of TTs after 1989 and I am not certain what happened when I retired my TT bike, but possibly my Father would have sold it from his business at the time. My Father, Jim, founded Chevin Cycles in 1974 and formed the Delta Sportive frame business with Geoff Davis in the years that followed. Its great to see that the frame is alive and in such good condition, wherever it has been in the past 32 years it has obviously been well cared for.

Silver":1nmtb0qe said:
Yes. This frame was built in 1984 by Steve Elsworth at his Thorpe Arch facility. It was built up into a TT bike which I used from 1985 - 1989. It was a great bike, stiff, light and, well, the short wheelbase did the trick for me and I had my best season ever in 1985 with 13 wins in open events. Life got in the way of TTs after 1989 and I am not certain what happened when I retired my TT bike, but possibly my Father would have sold it from his business at the time. My Father, Jim, founded Chevin Cycles in 1974 and formed the Delta Sportive frame business with Geoff Davis in the years that followed. Its great to see that the frame is alive and in such good condition, wherever it has been in the past 32 years it has obviously been well cared for.

Very interesting info, thanks. I've been told that Geoff Davis did actually build at least some of the DS frames if not this one. Are you able to confirm this?

And welcome to the forum. We're always ready to discover details from people with first hand information.

Latest posts

Back