Postage - Jeez, make your point!

nothing wrong with over charging for postage on ebay .

if you have a price in mind for the frame , just adjust bidding according to postage .

remember no ebay fees on postage . ;)

thats why all the hong kong stuff is listed at B.I.N 1p with £10 postage,listing+final seller fees are virtually nothing ;)

cchris2lou":171ya4ni said:
remember no ebay fees on postage . ;)

I tried it once with selling a rear shock for 1p as a 'buy it now' but p&p was £30 to avoid the fees. In the end I pulled the sale as I was fed up with people e-mailing asking 'is it the proper price?', and having to explain why it was being sold like that :?

I think charging for packing is fine, but I draw the line when people charge "their" time for the packing fees, ie: if they earn £10 an hour in their "proper job" they factor in £5 for half an hour packing.

At those levels, it's not so bad, but what if someone earns £50 an hour? Can they charge £25 packing? What about if David Beckham was the seller? Could he charge his hourly rate?

Let's not forget, packing and sending a frame is a pain. Source a box, carry it home from the bike shop, source some bubble wrap, tape, more cardboard for extra protection, lug it to the PO / stay in for a courier, panic for 2 days that it won't arrive ...

For a fixed price sale you can factor all that into the price of the frame and charge postage at cost, but in an auction you can't.

tiboltrider123":10ntw68o said:
xizang":10ntw68o said:
MAXTHEROTTI":10ntw68o said:
stew-b":10ntw68o said:
his point is he is charging £25 for postage AND packing,even he used the cheaper service you suggest then he will still charge you for packing and his time which ends up about the same so i personally think is totally fair and fine :roll:

i agree with stew here
when i sell things on here i post at cost
on ebay i do charge for my time and materials too

Same here :roll:

Ditto
Ebay is such an expensive place to sell stuff, I always try and sell stuff for way more than I would expect here..just to cover costs...final selling fees/listing fees and paypal add up to a whole hunk of money

Huntso":1dhqkcyw said:
Could do it cheap wrapped like this :LOL:

dsc00205_972.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I remember that one! :shock:

Good arguments on both sides, though the price is pretty hefty, even with time and labour. Personally, I keep a bike box and a few smaller package items around when I've ordered stuff and then recycle them if I ship something. My post office is in walking distance, however, so no petrol issues. As for packing stuff, I don't consider it labour (me personally) if I'm selling something. Ususlly I'm happy it's been sold and consider the 10 minutes or so it takes to pack it just part of the process.

I would do, and have done, the same as Pickle. Ask if they'll use a different/cheaper posting method and if not I reconsider if it's worth it to me. If it has to do with insurance and tracking numbers, it's also for their protection so I'm okay with it. If it's to justify labour etc. I might just say fair enough but not bid. Hmmm, so how much do you want/need yet ANOTHER frame Pickle? :D :D

Well, its a steel GT, an early 90's one I'd like to get my hands on as a keeper. Its not exclusive, or even really sought after, but one I have fancied for some time.

With sensible postage bidding would go to about £30/40 I'd say. Hmmm, maybe postage will put people off and it'd even out. Lets hope there is nobody bidding that can collect :roll:

We'll see ;)

Then you should defo go for it. Would be a treat if the postage puts others off so you get it cheap anyway. Keep us updated if it works out :D

Back