Ritchey P20

P20

Retrobike Rider
Well i don't know if its retro enough for this place, but its my pride and joy. Crud Guard has now been removed. Sadly the Dart 2.2 died so its now wearing Conti Vert pro 2.3's.

Ahhh, very sweet. There's another to add to the ever growing list of 'would like to own' :?

Glad the crud guard is off and glad it's used.

Not sure why you think it's not retro. What year is it :?: In my book that's a retro classic :D

Its retro in some aspects:
1" threaded steerer
Quill stem
The fact it's steel
Amber Wall tyres(granted the darts now dead :cry: )

Then agains its modern:
Those Syncros cranks are actually splined
Its nine speed
Its got Arch Supreme 'V' brakes.
Its an 'E' type front mech

I bought it in 1999(although the prototype frames were used in the 1996 XC champs). The forks(Tange Superlights) were sprayed to match the frame. I originally built it with Avid Tri Allign cantilevers, but couldn't live with the lack of power. So when i sold the Cannondale Raven, i put the Arch Supremes onto the Ritchey.
It's basically been built in a way that is fully usuable to modern standards, but represents what riding a mountain bike is to me.

I'll post a full spec, when i'm not under the influence of alcohol. :twisted:

Frame - Ritchey P20 18"
Fork - Tange Superlight 1" threaded, sprayed to match frame
Headset - Chris King Gripnut
Stem - Salsa 120mm
Handlebar - Qranc Quikstix
Barends - Control Tech
Grips - Ricthey WCS
Brakes - Avid Arch Supreme with shimano ceramic pads
Cantilever cable hangers - N/A (not retro enough)
Brake Levers - Avid Ultimate
Shifters - Shimano XTR 952 9spd
Front Derailleur - Shimano XTR 952 Carbon E-type
Rear Derailleur - Shimano XTR 952
Cassette - Shimano XT 11-32 9spd
Chain - Shimano XTR
Cranks - Syncros splined
Chainrings - T.A. 46/34/24
Bottom Bracket - Shimano XTRsplined 112.5mm
Pedals - Time Atac carbon
Quick Releases - Salsa Titanium
Rims - Mavic Crossride ceramic 24H/28H
Hubs - Bontrager Racelite by Chris King 24/28H
Tyres - Conti Vertical Pro 2.3. (the old dart2.2 died, so had to remove the zmax 2.35)
Saddle - Selle Italia Turbomatic 3
Seatpost - Shimano XTR 27.0mm
Cables - Goretex Ultralight for gear and brake
Weight - Approx 22lbs

I like it a lot! Just apart from the tires. They look a bit "fat" on such a skinny tubed bike.

Could you please elaborate on the splined Syncros cranks? I didn't know they existed?

They are part of the joys of working in the bike game. I enquired about Syncros cranks with Caratti the importers, but they'd sold out. They only had a warranty return set that supposedly wouldn't stay on the bottom bracket. I did a deal of buying the chainrings for them and i got the crank arms free :twisted: . Put them onto an XTR bb and they've been fine. The only slight downside to them is the badging, it was just printed on the crank arm, not engraved like my mates square taper ones. Not that i'm complaining you understand. :LOL:

I dont see a problem with the 2.1 & bigger tyres on the ritchey, very inkeeping if you ask me ;) Frischnect always had 2.1s whenever he raced at the plymouth grundig & his bike looked lush, as does this :D

Back