And today I did......

velomaniac":1yoayqi5 said:
Exactly but mine will be cruder even than that :LOL:

:LOL: I was thinking half a pallet two wheels, and a seat .

No gears, no pedals, just scoot it along.

Attachments

• Ackermann-1819.jpg
    Ackermann-1819.jpg
    797.8 KB · Views: 305
dyna-ti":a36t4zt2 said:
Why then not cut up one of those million cheap bikes you have and use 18mm plywood from B&Q ?
I could talk you through ways to mount the BB and headtube, dropouts and seat tube, but maybe stick to a proper fork, for the sake of safety.

No way! Now we have a proper challenge. Bodgers versus people who know what they're talking about. :)

Just remember it's only got to survive one lap, and then possibly be recycled into thermal energy if the night is cold.

Some details like seat tubes are redundant. The seat can be set at the right height so won't need adjustment.

There are other ways to mount a BB (I've already got the parts).

Headsets are only a problem if you think traditional diamond frame bike.

Dropouts are also not a problem, but if I say too much that clever Velo will pick up on my genius idea.... :)

My big problem is trying to come up with a way of avoiding using a chain. The simplest is front wheel drive, eg this recumbent penny farthing I bodged together 10 years ago using a folding bike frame

I prefer the idea of rear wheel drive though and I'm playing around with that.

The possibilities are endless if you are restricted by UCI ideas of a bike.

Re:

I have more daft ideas than sensible ones and trying to reign in the former is the hard part. Daft idea I am keeping regardless is 20" wheels which although far from the best off road does involve a pair of bombproof 48 spoke BMX wheels gathering dust in my shed. Triangles feature heavily in the frame idea as well as boxing them in with plywood. Shedding weight is not a consideration, only strength. I suspect my wood BSO, will not be hugely innovative as I'm sure Brian's will be but it should burn well :LOL:

New daft idea, a 7 foot length of 4 inch diameter cardboard tube with 5mm thick walls has come into my possession.......... hmmmmm........ I wonder. Must keep a look out for the men in white coats, I cannot be captured yet, so much to do he he he...

velomaniac":23pwwbda said:
New daft idea, a 7 foot length of 4 inch diameter cardboard tube with 5mm thick walls has come into my possession.......... hmmmmm........ I wonder. Must keep a look out for the men in white coats, I cannot be captured yet, so much to do he he he...

I think our American cousins are about the greatest diy bikers, especially for meets and events, charity or otherwise. So maybe try some research in the US forums for ideas as to how to construct from recycled materials. Im sure theres bound to be a few, they're usually inundated for nutters on bikes.

dyna-ti":27zrtthi said:
velomaniac":27zrtthi said:
...I think our American cousins are about the greatest diy bikers, especially for meets and events, charity or otherwise. So maybe try some research in the US forums for ideas as to how to construct from recycled materials. Im sure theres bound to be a few, they're usually inundated for nutters on bikes.
Don't underestimate Velo's ability to come up with something original.

I'm not.

You can be sure our creations will be fast enough to escape the men in white coats brigade. :)

Im more concerned about damp tubes falling apart. Not exactly structural stuff is it :LOL: Envision broken collar bones and other assorted :shock:
So is there more than one ?, sorry, think ive missed something. You making something too :D

Either way, whatever is cobbled together in whatever manner, I hope one of you has or intends to buy a go pro. Love to see that :D

Re:

The cardboard tube bike will not be used in this challenge, its just an idea that might happen in my shed of unearthly delights. The Woodlark is my main focus but for a laugh I may also make Plankenstein, the crudest lash up of a wood bike I can envisage which is heavy and ugly. Plankenstein was built before a couple of years past but was recycled into something else when I gave up on it. I have more knowledge now to get me past previous technical challenges :LOL: 7

Latest posts

Back