Big Problem with Kryptonite Lock

porkypaw":1cj6c4if said:
Get your hands on a 4" cordless angle grinder with a slitting disc, put some cardboard around the frame to protect it, and go for it. The lock will be in bits in less than a minute. A 240volt will be ok if some kind person near -by will let you plug an extension in to reach the bike.
On a safety note .... put on some eye protection...

One slip with the grinder and you'll need more than cardboard,it'll go straight through the cardboard and even a glancing blow will knacker the frame [those tube are thin]
At least tell the police to keep an eye on it till you arrange a smith,if its outside some shops ,ask them also to keep an eye on it [buy something when you do ,then ask ;) ]
Sod work,bike comes first :evil:

The CTC did a report on locks last year. They discovered that all the tests (e.g. Sold Secure Gold) didn't include trying a huge pair of bolt croppers. A really monster set (3 foot arms) ate their way through almost every lock.

Other than that, their other best attack was the stubby bottle jack, as said.

I was thinking of keeping the sparks off the frame (paint damage), the lock should be big enough to keep the disc well away from the bike ;)
I don't think the police would bat an eye if you were attacking with an angle grinder.

hamster":6f29e3no said:
The CTC did a report on locks last year. They discovered that all the tests (e.g. Sold Secure Gold) didn't include trying a huge pair of bolt croppers. A really monster set (3 foot arms) ate their way through almost every lock.

Other than that, their other best attack was the stubby bottle jack, as said.

I 2nd that a big set of bolties will go through that lock faster than a curried arse burger through a cheetah's rectum!

bolties generally are good for anything under 18-19mm, will be fun trying to balance one arm of the bolties on the floor while you bear down on the other with the jaws in the air, but it will work. A skilled practitioner could do it in under 30 seconds, check you tube.

Update

Thanks for all the advice guys, went at it in the morning with loads of WD40 and the smallest allen key I have. I managed to get the barrels round enough to reinsert the key and open it. I was very close to getting the locksmith to bust it open but the £82 call out charge put me off long enough.

A bit concerned about using the lock in future; had it not happened at the end of my street I'd have been really concerned.

Cheers All,

James.

Back