Advice about 7 speed cassettes please

EccentricRich

Dirt Disciple
Hello all

I have a 1990s Marin Muirwoods and I need a new 7 speed cassette, (I want to stick with 7 speed as I like the Shimano shifter I have and I want to keep the bike fairly original).

My question is would the Shimano CS-HG41 7 Speed Acera Cassette from Tredz be a good choice for a replacement cassette: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-CS-HG4 ... _54207.htm ?

The 11:28T range will be OK for me as I use the bike for cycle path / urban riding rather than serious off road, (I'm treating the Muirwoods respectfully these days as it's served its species well over the years!). I need to buy a new 7 speed chain as well so recommendations for this as well will be happily received.

Thanks for any advice given,

Richard

Should be fine! I like SRAM or KMC chains, although have used Taya recently with good results. If buying SRAM, avoid the PC830 as the pins aren't hardened. 7 and 8 speed chains are identical.

Re:

+1 for the SRAM chains. (Avoid cheap as chips Wilkinson's/Asda/no name chains.)

I have a slight preference for the SRAM cassettes too because they seem to shift a little more willingly and quietly, but there's not a lot in it and, as hamster says, the Shimano cassette should be fine.

I agree, I tend to favour SRAM cassettes, but the 7 speed ones seem harder to find these days. They used to be the only ones offering 12-32, although Shimano have picked that one up too. The 13-30 Shimano seems scarce now.

Back