keep my retro project or sell up for a modern rig

the hardest choice im ever gonna make

• sell it can you smell the carbon/alu calling my boy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • keep the clockwork you dont need no modern toot boy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
if you're set on racing then you're gna have to go for the giant, nice spec for abit of xc racing if thats your thing. deffo go for it there'l be other retro projects and you might regret it if you dont... then the clockwork wont seem as sweet?

Wheelset on the Giant isn't very good, non eyelet 117 rims on basic Deore hubs, cassette is Deore (heavy, but long lasting)

Brakes are OK, forks are pretty good, SLX chainset is pretty good (very stiff)

If you are dedicated enough to really give the racing at a higher level a go, then you may have to sacrifice a lot more than the Clockwork.

If you do sell the Clockwork, why not put a proviso on the sale that you get 1st dibs to buy it back if the new owner wants to sell it on again?

no point racing unless your as best equipped as u can be.retro stuff can always be there ..as they said new year retro project keeps u occupied when not training or racing(washes mouth out).... :cool:

"no point racing unless your as best equipped as u can be.retro stuff can always be there ..as they said new year retro project keeps u occupied when not training or racing(washes mouth out).... "

bollox , the bike makes little difference , if you think otherwise your not in enough of a positive mental state to put a good result in regardless of all the carbon and other guff

" oh no ive been passed , must have a lighter bike than me " :LOL:

its easy to blame components for poor training , which you have said you have greatly improved so you have a better edge anyway , stick to the clockwork and beat the fat chainsmoker who spent all winter on the sofa and just bought the current spangly bike with good fitness and skill

imagine the look on their faces when you beat them on an old bike :cool: you wont have that on an ugly giant

As a proportion of your total body weight, the weight of your bike is neither here nor there.
My best mate was a former courier. He used to overtake me on climbs riding a shonky old Ridgeback mountain bike. With his hands behind his back. Whistling. Git. ;)
Unless you are in a small, elite group of riders, the big performance increases will come from you, not what you ride. And if you are in that top one percent, you'll have someone who buys your bikes for you. So save your cash and stick with your lovely Orange. You haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do.

I agree with perry and chris....

Unless you are going full sus downhill you don't need a modern bike to compete, it won't make you much better (if at all) and it's over 25Lb so it's not like you are getting an ultra lightweight bike. You should be able to achieve that with your orange.

Put it this way, I'm on a £2k xizang build and I'm pish and always have been at XC - definately nothing to do with the bike or it's set up.

The bike didn't motivate me do do better either, I just enjoyed riding it more on the uphills and the down hills weren't actually as good as the bike was a little top heavy with my fat arse on it.

I think you do yourself a diservice Ken- You more than managed glentress on your rigid Gt, which is no mean feat. But I agree with yours and other comments- "the bike does not maketh the man...."

the bike is just a starting platform as i havn't had a brand new moutain bike since i was what 16 im 25 now and i have a super light weight hope wheel set to plug in it and 08 xt groupset to plug in the gaps and carbon bars and stem and post off someone else gartis so i only have to get the platform i used to love riding the prestige and i think the clockwork would do me proud but i the thought of having a nice/lightweight bike that will more than perfom will be a first or me :? :?

errr....that Giant looks alot like your Genesis chap, what advantage are you hoping to gain from it? :?

Back