A budget On One Inbred build

More hitches along the way: this is the rear wheel that came with the frame -- nice Surly flip-flop hub and no-name rim. It needs a new freewheel or sprocket -- you can see how hooked the teeth are. I bought the Park tool for removing the freewheel, but it's well and truly stuck. You can see where someone's been whacking the lock-ring with a punch so perhaps that's why the previous owner threw it in with the frame . . .

Anyone have any tips as to how to get this done without wrecking the wheel? I'd like to get it done at home rather than cave in and go to a bike shop.

Attachments

• 20210114-DSC_8184.jpg
    20210114-DSC_8184.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 437
Some more views of the worn and stuck freewheel.

Attachments

• 20210115-IMG_4557.jpg
    20210115-IMG_4557.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 436
  • 20210115-IMG_4556.jpg
    20210115-IMG_4556.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 436
  • 20210115-IMG_4555.jpg
    20210115-IMG_4555.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 436
Re: Re:

Captain Stupido":2n5mv8nq said:
Freewheel tool in vice, grip tyre, turn wheel. Try with 2 people.

Yeah that was the first thing we tried but it was too stuck -- and the slots were sufficiently knackered from being hit with a punch or screwdriver that we couldn't get the freewheel tool to grip enough.

So it was out with the Dremel. It eventually worked -- there's a small nick in the hub flange despite my best efforts, but otherwise all's good.

Attachments

• 20210117-IMG_4567.jpg
    20210117-IMG_4567.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 399
  • 20210117-IMG_4565.jpg
    20210117-IMG_4565.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 399
  • 20210117-IMG_4566.jpg
    20210117-IMG_4566.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 399
Here's the shiny new freewheel. It's a bit of a cheapie, in keeping with the rest of the build, but that's OK as it may need to be replaced when we get to the point of messing around with ratios.

Attachments

• 20210117-IMG_4564.jpg
    20210117-IMG_4564.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 397
moonlite":216kuhyi said:
Slight hitch today: I found a nice XT crankset and bottom bracket of the right 68mm width on eBay. It was a little rough but it seemed to make sourcing the correct bits a lot simpler, but today I really struggled to get the right-hand (drive side) bearing to screw in. I gave the threads a good cleaning out with WD40 and a stiff wire brush on a hand drill and applied lots of grease but it just didn't seem to want to go more than a few turns.

Taking the frame to the next town to get the threads chased may be the best option but it would be a huge hassle and have to wait until the new year. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Can't offer any advice - only solidarity. The bottom bracket threads rusting out on the RHS was what did for my On-One frame. The first time the bottom bracket came out it seemed to have weaker threads afterwards. Bottom brackets would go in easily enough but move up and down in the shell. The bike shop solved it by putting a resin cupped bottom bracket. That worked for a time until it started moving in the shell too.

greencat":2lrl7vgu said:
moonlite":2lrl7vgu said:
Slight hitch today: I found a nice XT crankset and bottom bracket of the right 68mm width on eBay. It was a little rough but it seemed to make sourcing the correct bits a lot simpler, but today I really struggled to get the right-hand (drive side) bearing to screw in. I gave the threads a good cleaning out with WD40 and a stiff wire brush on a hand drill and applied lots of grease but it just didn't seem to want to go more than a few turns.

Taking the frame to the next town to get the threads chased may be the best option but it would be a huge hassle and have to wait until the new year. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Can't offer any advice - only solidarity. The bottom bracket threads rusting out on the RHS was what did for my On-One frame. The first time the bottom bracket came out it seemed to have weaker threads afterwards. Bottom brackets would go in easily enough but move up and down in the shell. The bike shop solved it by putting a resin cupped bottom bracket. That worked for a time until it started moving in the shell too.

Thanks! Solidarity is much appreciated. I've managed to create a workable solution (I think - time will tell) by using the bearings from two different XT BBs. Both came from the same guy who sent the crankset and both had been removed without the proper tool, but by mixing and matching I have them both installed. All looks, feels and sounds good, but we'll find out soon enough.

Meanwhile, scored a brand-new Ritchey headset on eBay which arrived today and which I can install using a home-made headset press. That'll enable the front end to be built up: I have wheel, skewer, fork, stem, v-brakes and levers. The bars may be a bit of an issue as 25.4mm are starting to get harder to find.

Ritchey skewer from the parts hoard below.

Attachments

• 20201107-ritchey skewer 2.jpg
    20201107-ritchey skewer 2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 363
Back