New Boulder Stuff

hey all, dont get too cut up about the gusset, the welding looks really neat, and remember guys, its an old frame so an old style gusset looks cool. open ended gussets have only been widely accepted in recent years, so on an old frame that is (probably) never going to be treated like a modern one an old style gusset is cool. ...........keeps us updated........

It's being kinda coy... still a little embarrassed about it's gusset. :oops:

It is willing to show a little color, though. More when the shock gets back from Risse, and Gil comes through with the decals.

Did I mention... this build will be my salute to a wonderful website called... Retrobike UK. ;)

Thanks for the positive feedback mates.

Cheers.

- Luke :cool:

Attachments

• Boulder bit more.jpg
    Boulder bit more.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,076
oof

Are you going red, white and blue on this one? If so, I'll stand up and sing the national anthem

Luke,..this is going to look amazing,..

I just thought that, now that I see the main frame in white, it could have been nice to paint the rear triangle black

let's see some more pictures dude! ;)

Bas

utahdog2003":24d6jmw6 said:
Dr S":24d6jmw6 said:
I am also ever so slightly concerned about that repair- the gusset should have a open end really- something to do with torsional stresses and distribution of those forces (I really should have paid more attention as a student) having a weep hole won't help at all.
Like your idea of restoring some early / mid 1980's stuff, not enough of them on RB for me. Mind you, when I rebuilt my 87 model (86 built) Cannondale I had a bit of a challenge to get all the parts!

I'd like to see the repair open on the bottom too, but only in new construction. I think if I were welding on a 'patch' I'd want it complete. Nothing to back that up...total hairs-on-the-neck hunch, but as a repair...

The best (in my opinion) solution would have been to tig the two sides of the gussett, and if you didn't want to leave the end open (because of possible water ingress, rust bleeding etc) silver solder the end closed.

Very nice tig work though...... :cool: And nice looking powder coating too :LOL:

Are you going red, white and blue on this one?
I'm slowly working my way into the colored ano scene.
I'm also working on the whole "...leave it with the nice patina" thing, as well. ;)

...tig the two sides of the gussett
I don't know, I'm thinking of scrapping this one because of the knackered gusset job. :oops:

...it could have been nice to paint the rear triangle black
Twas one of the color schemes that danced through my head. To be honest I just couldn't make up my mind, so all white is what I got. :roll:

let's see some more pictures dude!
After work I'll get the head tube faced and fork installed. Pictures then. :)

Cheers.

Seeing as though the gusset is a real talking point - regardless of the engineering principles, I think from an aesthetic point of view it really blends in with the join of the shock-mount tube and the top tube. Did the welder have this in mind? :cool:

Andy R":12zvedgo said:
utahdog2003":12zvedgo said:
I'd like to see the repair open on the bottom too, but only in new construction. I think if I were welding on a 'patch' I'd want it complete. Nothing to back that up...total hairs-on-the-neck hunch, but as a repair...

The best (in my opinion) solution would have been to tig the two sides of the gussett, and if you didn't want to leave the end open (because of possible water ingress, rust bleeding etc) silver solder the end closed.

Very nice tig work though...... :cool: And nice looking powder coating too :LOL:

Yes...Good point. I didn't mean to imply that the end of the gusset should be completely open, just not tigged shut.

Moot though, because the repair looks first rate. And I would still predict that even if he rode the snot out of it with no regard for it's age, the frame would develop an issue somewhere else rather than at the repair. With the final finish on there, I bet even the Boulder folks would be hard pressed to notice the repair without a bit of hinting on where to look. And who knows....(I certainly don't)...there could be a very good reason why the frame-builder who did the repair did it that way. I certainly don't build frames for a living. :D

Going to be a beautiful bike. Show me more! :cool:

Back