'94 Dawes Special Edition (no 10/250)

I think the paint job is brilliant. I don't remember this style of Dawes finish at all and I'm impressed.

Just leave it as it is, it's aging well (like me! ;) )

Old Ned":wc2jo1bb said:
I think the paint job is brilliant. I don't remember this style of Dawes finish at all and I'm impressed.

Just leave it as it is, it's aging well (like me! ;) )

hehe, i'm going to leave it as it is. can't wait until i ride it again!

Dawes Edge is fillet brazed reynolds 653. My bike would have sat 2 below in the range (Edge (x3) then Off Limits then Mine then Kickback comp), except mine is a "Special Edition" it isn't in the '94 catalogue.

1994 Dawes only used 3 frame materials for mountain bikes, 653, 501 and 4130 cro-mo.

I've got a big fold out specification and price list for the full Dawes range, including road, hybrid, racing, street, tandem etc

chris667":h4f767la said:
Nothing to do with mountain bikes, but do you have a scan of that? My Galaxy is 1994ish.

Scanner isn't working at the moment, i'll try and remember to bring it into work to scan.

Easy_Rider":2kr3912b said:
chris667":2kr3912b said:
Nothing to do with mountain bikes, but do you have a scan of that? My Galaxy is 1994ish.

Scanner isn't working at the moment, i'll try and remember to bring it into work to scan.

Here you go, my crap attempt at getting the work scanner to do what i want. I'll get some proper scans of it all soon and a better one of the specs, i know it hasn't come out well, but its the last page you want ;)

Dawes Galaxy and Super Galaxy |

Dawes Super Super Galaxy |

Dawes Specification and price list |

Thanks! That's well beyond the call of duty.
I can see my bike isn't from 1994 after all. Mine has Exage throughout, and 1994 ones have STX-RC. Decals are different, but not the colour.
They've got the geometry as well. Whatever happened to touring bikes having a 74 1/2 degree seat angle? New touring bikes are quite sporty by these standards. Honestly, racing has so much to answer for.

chris667":1i3coyws said:
Thanks! That's well beyond the call of duty.
I can see my bike isn't from 1994 after all. Mine has Exage throughout, and 1994 ones have STX-RC. Decals are different, but not the colour.
They've got the geometry as well. Whatever happened to touring bikes having a 74 1/2 degree seat angle? New touring bikes are quite sporty by these standards. Honestly, racing has so much to answer for.

No problem ;)

I think its STX special edition actually (MC31) gold/bronze colour, i don't think STX-RC came out until later, '95 possibly.

You got a picture of your bike? Havn't got any road/touring bikes but i do like the classy looks of them.

Here it is:
IMG_0259.jpg

This is my only working bike at the minute, so I'm using it for everything. It's a surprisingly good offroader, although you have to stop every so often to clean the crap off the mudguards.
We've had a lot of adventures together, lots of tours, commuting, carrying sacks of potatoes, everything. Brilliant.
Will be good to have my new Fisher, though, for a bit of mud clearance.

chris667":3e09a0eg said:
Here it is:
This is my only working bike at the minute, so I'm using it for everything. It's a surprisingly good offroader, although you have to stop every so often to clean the crap off the mudguards.
We've had a lot of adventures together, lots of tours, commuting, carrying sacks of potatoes, everything. Brilliant.
Will be good to have my new Fisher, though, for a bit of mud clearance.

:cool:
Like the above comments, a bike you've had for years and have the stories to go with it is priceless!
I take it the v's are a later addition?

Yes. Avid Single Digit 3s, with Dia-Compe 287vs. I wore out the Exage cantis, and all I could get was a v-brake. They work really well, certainly a lot easier to set up than cantis.
If only it had some more mud clearance, it'd work as a 29er.

Latest posts

Back