Alejandro's (Klein) Adroit 1992 Green Gator Target sub < 7Kg

I'm not sure if I agree with the comments on the original parts etc.

For starters it's an Adroit, and just sourcing one of them in pristine condition is something in itself especially after all this time.
It's like going to look at at 27 year old car and not expecting to see any kind of damage to the bodywork. Most of the bikes from the 90's are going to need some kind of work doing to them unless you come across someone that has had it sitting in the garage or the loft for 30 years.

In fact I would rather pick up a Klein that had been checked over for damage and re-painted to the same standard as the original. My one might even have the original paintwork but I'm not too bothered if it doesn't considering that it is flawless.

I was there in the 90's when all of the parts where fresh on the scene and most of the machined components were poor quality compared to what we have today. That is probably why you don't get to see too many around because they all had issues and didn't survive for long. That alone makes it harder to trick out a 90's bike to an original spec and in opinion you are better off putting on new items where you feel the need to.

You really don't have to source original parts to make it a good bike and I don't think that any Klein fan would turn down my Adroit for not having the original parts on it. I actually have bonus parts on it compared to some of things it did come with.

See the exact 1992 model below that was pictured with the Ultra Light components.

Attachments

• glf.JPG
    glf.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 630
Hotwheels.":2c02du5a said:
midibiker":2c02du5a said:
KLEINselig":2c02du5a said:
Hey, no need to proof anything. It is a fantastic bike. You deserve to be extremely proud. Also the choice of components is a testimony to your formidable taste.
If I‘d ever had the chance to buy a gator Adroit I might run the risk of violating a fundamental bike owners law: b = n - 1,
Where b is the ideal number of bikes to own and n is the number of bikes that would trigger one‘s spouse to divorce :mrgreen:

Thanks and I know the feeling. I am currently in the process of trying to buy another and I have a choice of an Moonrise Attitude or a Sunburst Adroit but I can't afford both of them right now.
Gotta be Moonrise every time.

Fingers crossed pictures to come.

midibiker":1lkifghw said:

For starters it's an Adroit, and just sourcing one of them in pristine condition is something in itself especially after all this time.
It's like going to look at at 27 year old car and not expecting to see any kind of damage to the bodywork. Most of the bikes from the 90's are going to need some kind of work doing to them unless you come across someone that has had it sitting in the garage or the loft for 30 years.

In fact I would rather pick up a Klein that had been checked over for damage and re-painted to the same standard as the original. My one might even have the original paintwork but I'm not too bothered if it doesn't considering that it is flawless.

I was there in the 90's when all of the parts where fresh on the scene and most of the machined components were poor quality compared to what we have today. That is probably why you don't get to see too many around because they all had issues and didn't survive for long. That alone makes it harder to trick out a 90's bike to an original spec and in opinion you are better off putting on new items where you feel the need to.

You really don't have to source original parts to make it a good bike and I don't think that any Klein fan would turn down my Adroit for not having the original parts on it. I actually have bonus parts on it compared to some of things it did come with.

See the exact 1992 model below that was pictured with the Ultra Light components.

I agree. What I really meant to say a couple of posts earlier was that I would certainly not do anything as radical with an original gator Adroit as I did with my 2000 Adroit, which I just converted to an all XTR 1x12 drive train. But I might be very inclined to put e.g. Tune cantilever brakes on, not really caring if they were manufactured in the same year as the frame.

KLEINselig":4l8nl2dm said:
midibiker":4l8nl2dm said:

I agree. What I really meant to say a couple of posts earlier was that I would certainly not do anything as radical with an original gator Adroit as I did with my 2000 Adroit, which I just converted to an all XTR 1x12 drive train. But I might be very inclined to put e.g. Tune cantilever brakes on, not really caring if they were manufactured in the same year as the frame.

Exactly and in my opinion someone would be mad to do that. It would be far better to keep it to the original spec as much as possible.

But some people put their own spin on it like this recent Attitude that just sold on Ebay. He added the components to show what the bike could look like once built.
Although it's not to my taste it wouldn't take much to make it look stunning if you added a mix of new and old components.

Attachments

• att.jpg
    att.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 592
Re:

Surely half the fun is finding the correct period rare sought after parts ?

Because let’s be honest here , none of these are going to be used for proper mountain biking. Maybe a light ride along gravel or woods but not proper riding and that means they don’t need the performance of modern bits

Re: Re:

d8mok":3otkipo8 said:
Surely half the fun is finding the correct period rare sought after parts ?

Because let’s be honest here , none of these are going to be used for proper mountain biking. Maybe a light ride along gravel or woods but not proper riding and that means they don’t need the performance of modern bits

Well, the sort of XC and marathon racing I did 25 to 30 years ago was then considered „proper“ mountain biking and was already pretty tough, albeit perhaps not as technical as today. And that is still the use case for my 2000 Adroit. As I said before, I would probably not dare to subject a Gator or a Moonrise Adroit to such treatment. So, your assessment is probably spot on.

midibiker":xpxxk869 said:
[…]
But some people put their own spin on it like this recent Attitude that just sold on Ebay. He added the components to show what the bike could look like once built.
Although it's not to my taste it wouldn't take much to make it look stunning if you added a mix of new and old components.

How could I miss this one on ebay? My search filter certainly did not spit that one out. :x

Today I received the front Paul cantilevers. So only the wheels will remain (if some day come.. and who know how good or bad will come if someday come.. as here now in local correos there's no track, just only the international trackers show that has left custom, but nothing more, after more 35 days waiting for...)

Attachments

• IMG_20201205_140248_1.jpg
    IMG_20201205_140248_1.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_20201205_140237_1.jpg
    IMG_20201205_140237_1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_20201205_140224.jpg
    IMG_20201205_140224.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 512
I just noticed that you have installed the brake levers the wrong way round. The clamp bolt heads should be accessed from the bottom side and not the top side of the handlebars.

KLEINselig":149i3w6m said:
I just noticed that you have installed the brake levers the wrong way round. The clamp bolt heads should be accessed from the bottom side and not the top side of the handlebars.

I do it that in order to hide "Extralite" top labels. I like it better as is. Well, in fact this levers are not mine, are from a guy called Alex who gave me until I wait for the green ones from Extralite, still with no stock on their site

Latest posts

Back