the best gig ever was....

Used to spend most of my mid-week nights out in Leeds and the Duchess of York virtually became my local

So saw most of the grunge bands come and go along with most of the early goth movement, guess one of the most notable would have been

Nirvana playing to a half full pub just before Bleach came out

Others worth a mention, Guns 'n' Roses at Newcastle City hall, you could still buy tickets on the door for that

Rage against the Machine supporting Tool at Newcastle Mayfair

Smashing Pumpkins at a little members only nightclub in Newcastle

Jane's addiction, first UK show at Brixton Academy

Don't get to as many gigs as I would like now, having said that I'm off to see King of Leon on Thursday night :)

Stone Roses supported by Black Grape in Sheffield, 1995/6 ish Second Coming tour, what a gig that was.

U2 'Popmart' tour at Roundhay Park Leeds 1997ish. A brilliant musical/visual experience.

Oasis Maine Road 1995 ish, supported by Ocean Colour Scene and The Manic Street Preachers. Great gig from back when Oasis were good.

Would like to see James and the strokes in the future.

makster":3pqlh0qq said:
JeRkY":3pqlh0qq said:
makster":3pqlh0qq said:
Seeing Kasabian play at a tiny little bar near Phoenix, Arizona while I was working out there was pretty special.
There was only about 100 people in there, and most/all of them had never even heard of Kasabian.
They certainly knew about them by the time the gig had finished! This place was bouncing by the time they finished with Clubfoot :cool:
These are the kind of gigs I love, small and intimate.
About 2 weeks later I stumbled across Embrace playing and even smaller gig in Sacremanto, California. Must have been 30 people max in there and they were asking what we wanted them to play!
I've seen both bands play to 5000+ people but these 2 gigs were far better to me :D

Like wise saw them do a small (ish) 1000 people gig at Leeds uni a few years back...really very good in small venues.

I also saw Kings of leon at a gig in bridlington before they were widely known, they were supporting "The music" came on looking a little like the bastard offspring of zztop and proceeded to blow the small crowd away. Seen them many times since in much larger venues, but that was special.

Off to see a nice lineup next year in dublin, Oasis headlining and kasabien and rumoured to be the prodigy supporting...cant wait.

That KOL gig sounds amazing. I caught them touring on the back of Youth and Young Manhood and have been hooked ever since. Head and shoulders the best live band of the last 5 years imo. They just come on stage, play and then leave. No poncing around, just raw talent.
Its a shame that the latest album seems to have lost a lot of that rawness :(
Had a great 2 days last year when I saw KOL at at Wembley followed by The Verve the following night at the 02 :D
Got tickets to see them on the 14th in Bournemouth :cool:

Yeah, KOL are one of the only US bands of the past 10 years to impress me at all. Also saw the verve just before christmas last year... got to be my favourite band of all. Ashcroft is simply a god.

Got another one ... Hawkwind in 1982 at the Regal in Hitchin ... high as a kite ... happy days

Some quality gigs mentioned already :cool:
Mine would be-

Foo Fighters @ O2 and V - Festival 2007
Bloc Party - Alexandra palace
Shed Seven Farewell tour - opening nite - Colchester Arts Centre

before they got big-
Blur - Essex University 1990
Zutons - Colchester Arts Centre (mmmm... Abby :D )
The Strokes - Colchester Arts Centre

Would Have love to have seen-
Ride - Reading 1992

boy"O"joy :D

Back