ANOTHER change to emtb plans

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":21mjfyk4 said:
Do SR Suntour make decent forks now?
Yes, they make some of the mid-low range forks and parts for Rockshox IIRC. Some of the suntour forks aren't too shoddy at all. Considering what you pay for them.

Just because of the lights, i'd get the more expensive one. UNLESS you are planning to do lots of off roading in the dark. Because while those lights are right up there for commuting, they aren't up to much off road.

FluffyChicken":2o5qk8g9 said:
Even the amber tires are only 15 to 20 quid each

Where are you buying a modern tan wall tyre for £15-£20 quid each? I must know your secret, every one I've looked at has been £40+!

I guess given availability, its going to be a case of whatever is available in XL tan tyres or nay.
I suppose the most important fact, for me at least on either of these is the rack. The lights i can deal with, though wired in means less batteries or charging.

Another thing ive noticed is this fork is a 180mm max, and given the weight of the bike, its momentum plus kit, a 200 or even 220mm would be the better choice up front.

dyna-ti":ijvt0hnr said:
I guess given availability, its going to be a case of whatever is available in XL tan tyres or nay.
I suppose the most important fact, for me at least on either of these is the rack. The lights i can deal with, though wired in means less batteries or charging.

Another thing ive noticed is this fork is a 180mm max, and given the weight of the bike, its momentum plus kit, a 200 or even 220mm would be the better choice up front.

Sorry if I’ve misunderstood but are you suggesting needing a 180mm-220mm travel fork?

d8mok":z2nfiffm said:
dyna-ti":z2nfiffm said:

Sorry if I’ve misunderstood but are you suggesting needing a 180mm-220mm travel fork?

No, I think he means maximum disk rotor size.

Re:

Yes, you misunderstood! ;)

The fork will only take a max 180mm rotor, when a 200mm or 220mm would be better given its heavier than a non-electric mtb

Edit: beaten to it by one minute! :LOL:

Re:

Thank god

I had visions of a 220mm hardtail ebike with rack

Bang some MT7 or E4 on there are disc size is irrelevant unless you are riding big long fast decents with lots of heat build up.

Re: Re:

d8mok":1zah83s0 said:
Thank god

I had visions of a 220mm hardtail ebike with rack

Bang some MT7 or E4 on there are disc size is irrelevant unless you are riding big long fast descents with lots of heat build up.
My normal set up, and has been since about 1998 is 180/160mm and I expect we could go on to discuss what exactly you need on the back.

I've read some stuff on the smaller rotor will heat up faster than a larger rotor, and in my experience i do find the smaller rear provides a fair bit of braking power, with only a 2 pot caliper. There is more chance of locking up, but again not really, given the 45lb bike weight +plus rider+plus kit
But obviously for the heavier bike, bigger is going to be better in the long run, as hills ad drag are going to be a factor. As such it will probably be sticking to the 180/180 the bike is specced with, but again different brakes, not because Hope are better than shimano m401, Hope are more a 'modulation' of speed, scrubbing off a bit rather than a vice like grip, as you get with saints and that ilk, but also because the power is still there if you suddenly find you need to slow down, then slow down fast - This is why I prefer Hope and in the relation to the heavier bike in a street section with traffic, scrubbing off some speed, then the prick int he car in front stops suddenly, and you need to follow suit, not a case of doing 25mph and needing to slam on both at once hard as you can.
Were this the case I'd opt for V2's on moto levers.
Debate for another day maybe :LOL:

Current 'shopper' has a 150mm revelation on the front.

And a rack, with pannier :D

Back