Bike cleaning tips

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I want to get out and ride more, but one thing putting me off is the cleaning afterwards (well, if I'm honest, its the getting it dirty too).

I'm a stickler for keeping things clean and lubed, so don't like the idea of washing a bike down and putting it away wet, especially as it is likely to be dark when I'm doing the cleaning, and time is generally short.

Aside from hosing down and dragging a rag over everything to dry it off as best I can, anyone got any sage advice on must do tasks or tips for making it easier/faster and not resulting in rusty bits by the time I get out on it next?

Re:

Blast off with hose, spay WD40/GT85 over (but not at) bits and bobs.
You can do most of that in the dark.
Worry about lube and stuff as you start the next ride.

I often use a compressor airline (lidl's own brand) to dry the bike (bypassing the bearings) then often wipe over a protection spray. That's mainly been with Muc Off Bike Protect as we have loads of the stuff as the lad used to get it in his podium mix-up bag prizes. Not averse to using GT85 in the same way & prefer the smell. My favourite post wash & dry treatment is Kingud's Renovate & Protect which is not so easy to find unless by mail order. They often had a stand at races where we'd stock up but our local bike mechanic now stocks it. It's doesn't attract or hold on to crap like other sprays. Generally find their stuff has the edge over Muc off. I haven't been able to resist using GT85 on bikes that are not getting used over the winter

Depending on the kind of paint you have this method may vary, It works well for me having a soft enamel paint. You can wash with car wash solution, and a clean microfiber towel. Make sure to use a different towel for each step, but reuse the same series of towels every time you wash your bike. First fill up a bucket of hot water. Then put a little car wash solution in it. Wash the bike with a micro fiber towel. Then get a clean bucket of water. Wipe it down, and get all the soap off. Then dry it with another microfiber rag. Now you can use a polish I like to use Bontrager bike polish, because it wont mess up matt finishes on your bikes paint. then spray your polish on, put some on you towel too, and buff out your paint until it is very shiny, and smooth (not wet with polish). Finally take a spray on wax (I use mothers spray on car wax.) To protect the paint from dirt, and grime when you ride. Take the spray and get your paint wet with it, then with a different microfiber towel spread the wax evenly, let it sit a minute, and buff out. After all these steps you bike paint should look like new, and it will be protected with the wax. (I also repeat these steps on my fork to protect it's paint as well). This is a good method because you never spray water on your bike, meaning no water will get anywhere other than the surface of the frame. Now, I would use wd-40 for scuffs that you need to get out, but I wouldn't leave any on the paint because it may lift decals up from your paint. All of this is personal preference, but for me it works out perfect for me, so I though I would share it with you.

Happy riding! :xmas-wink:

Re:

Yeah, I'm the same tbh, I like cleaning it down when I get back so it's all shiny when she comes out again!
I spray it up with a bike cleaner, hot water & soap flake liquid... :cool:

Then rinse it down with one of these sprays, less aggressive that the hose!

Then dry them off with my leaf blower, this bad boy dries em off!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG1.PNG
    Capture.PNG1.PNG
    72.6 KB · Views: 312
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    144.1 KB · Views: 312
Back