Is this gonna work ??

Hilts

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've got some Judy TT's that I want to put on my 1990 Explosif frame to make it a rideable retroracer (not sure the track twos on there now will appreciate being flung around too much), however having read a few bits about putting suspension forks with old frames I'm no longer sure this little plan of mine is going to work..

Anyone done anything similar or know if i will encounter problems ? Shox have 80mm travel.

you probably gonna have the feeling of riding a chopper .

early frame were not suspension corrected , so the front end of your bike will be very high .

I was thinking along the same lines as you hilts with a pair of marzocchi Z5's on a Trimble ? .
having seen the moonhead trimble that had tigerstripe paint and some marzocchi's on I wonderered if it would 'feel' Ok, plus the marzocchis would be a more serviceable fork in the long run.

could be my first old meets new project :?

main.php

I just like the look of the chunky forks and to be honest, might be a bit more comfortable ride for me with a higher front end.

I quite like the idea of raising the front of the kona as it's a little on the small side, plus that is my 'testing' bike so no great shakes if it turns into a dog, I'll chuck the track twos back on..

Keep the fork tavel below 100mm and use a short stem to quicken the steering , also use a high profile rear tyre.
I suspension corrected a M-Trax by using a 2.2 rear tyre and a 1.95 front.

Worked quite well.

Hilts":1h7a8y7k said:
I've got some Judy TT's that I want to put on my 1990 Explosif frame to make it a rideable retroracer (not sure the track twos on there now will appreciate being flung around too much), however having read a few bits about putting suspension forks with old frames I'm no longer sure this little plan of mine is going to work..

Anyone done anything similar or know if i will encounter problems ? Shox have 80mm travel.

It's probably a bit on the tall side for a 1990 frame but you may get away with it.

A better option would be to find an older suspension fork with less travel. An older Marzocchi XC500 etc or Z2 (68mm travel versions) would be a much better fork than the Judy too.

Back