Single Speed UK Championships 09

Status
Not open for further replies.
orange71":2mw7cwuu said:
Warning Team MacRetro are threatening a dress code of the most lurid lycra outfits that can be found

as long as it's not kilts :shock:

Whit's up wi men wearin' skirts ya big southern shandy drinker :evil: or you just scared of what may be on display :LOL:

queen1.jpg

velomaniac":xefo56fj said:
M.E. does not stand for Massochist Eedjits !!!!

No body could ride the trails I've raced on in previous SS on a fixed and it would be painful to try.

While I agree about the folly of riding fixed offroad I have sen someone riding fixed, rigid and flared drops clean a rocky downhill section that defeated a skilled rider on a Maverick. Impressive if pointless. I obviously walked and admired the view

I'm in, did SSUK06 on a rigid Racelite with cantis, and I am fantastically unfit, its not really a serious race, there is no reason to train, its as much about the night before, the in-race cameraderie and the exploits of a few well-known niche-tastic inidviduals (who may or may not be affiliated with certain MTB mags with a large website).

It is the only race I have entered where I have been on the start line stood between a still-drunk Scotsman wearing a very tight pink top and a blunt-toking bear of a man riding a £3k Ti SS with silly bars. Then and again, it is the only race I have entered.

True there is no reason to train but it does help.

Last one SSUK07 was a three lap affair over red and black graded old school trails, all mud/tree roots/steep inclines of which I only achieved 1 lap before extreme knackerednous and self preservation kicked in. Admittedly I was riding a 1970's steel racer with cyclo-x tyres rescued out of a skip two weeks previously, which won me the Shonkiest bike prize but it was still a technical riding extreme challenge of a race.

A bit of trainning would be a good idea including a spot of running as in cyclo-x you do spend a period of the race either pushing the bike or shouldering it. Also some practice of technical riding skills is useful as I'm not at all good with drop offs or jumping obstacles such as rocks or roots !

On many levels SSUK is not a serious race but on others it certainly is and those that win are among the best athletic sports people in the country if not the world !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus for 2009 I'd like not to have to rebuild my bike by the trailside having totally failed to miss a tree everyone else avoided :oops: Also it would be nice not to collapse as a shaking ball of unfit rubbish after only 2 laps of SSUK04's 3 x laps :!:

I think the Tunnocks Jerseys are available from that company that does many special edition tops such as our own Retrobike ones :D

velomaniac":2ft104fa said:
Admittedly I was riding a 1970's steel racer with cyclo-x tyres rescued out of a skip two weeks previously, which won me the Shonkiest bike prize but it was still a technical riding extreme challenge of a race.
:D

So an old cyclo-x frame with 700C's and knobbly CX tyres would be OK would it? The bike doesn't have to be a 'Mountain Bike' in the normal definition of such things?

If so, it all sounds even better!

PS - love the kilt photo. It took Mrs Ned a few minutes to see what the joke was :roll:

A sensible choice is a mtb but if you can ride it off road then anything is possible. I hasten to add that this a mtb race not the Shonky bike cup as organised by Charlie The Bike Monger in the SW. I do not want to be blamed for encouraging silly behaviour on ill advised steeds.

I was thinking of a 1950's Rudge roadster with fat hybrid tyres for SSUK09 but thats probably a step too far. So I'll ride something slightly more sensible of a mtb persuasion.

Cyclo-X bikes though should hack it , but I'd practice riding it on mtb trails graded red at least before committing to the idea.

I think your silly behaviour should confine itself to fancy dress for the rider but ride a bike designed for the purpose ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back