Notice period

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

Not so much a topic more as a vent!

I'm changing jobs at the moment but have to give a three month notice period.

I've just completed my first month so only eight weeks to go! :roll:

I'm in a catch 22 situation as I want to give my fullest to the job whilst I'm still here but am finding the motivation a bit of a problem.

Ho hum!

To make things harder I have the first two weeks of January off so I will have properly wound down before coming back for ten days or so!

Any words of advice would be greatly recieved!

Mark

I think that's a normal human reaction, which is why most organisations try to let people go as soon as possible. If yours are holding you to your notice merely for the sake of it, then they are mean and vindictive and you made the right choice to leave.

However, I would ensure that you leave on good terms as the world is a surprisingly small place.

hmm. It is always a problem. We got rid of an employee recently, she did sod all for her remaining time + it begs the question whether its even worth keeping them on.

Might as well just pay their notice and get rid!

hamster":1doyrec7 said:
However, I would ensure that you leave on good terms as the world is a surprisingly small place.

And thats the catch.

I do want to leave on the best terms possible as I may still have so interaction with the people I work with now in my new job.

Plus I don't see the point in burning bridges etc.

Just a long period to stay motivated for I guess.

Ironically the job I will be going to is more money, responsibility etc but has a single months notice period.

Just cannot work out this public sector malarky!

hamster":2t83161g said:
If yours are holding you to your notice merely for the sake of it, then they are mean and vindictive and you made the right choice to leave.

I part sympathise with them on this as the intention is that they can employ someone to replace me for handovers etc.

Trouble is the ball isn't rolling on this as yet.

I've said it before so I'll say it again - Ho hum.

I presume you have spoken to them about this and tried to come to a mutual arrangement?

I have never worked my notice anywhere, but only because I always seem to be owed loads of leu time.

Would you maybe be willing to give up your 2 weeks off if you could leave 2 weeks earlier etc?

Alternatively spend your life on here for the next 3 months

Can't you tell them you are going to a competitor? They may put you on gardening leave?

MadCowKev":2kgnl27g said:
Can't you tell them you are going to a competitor? They may put you on gardening leave?

Sadly not :(

Seemingly the public sector dosen't work like that.

Atleast I have RB ;)

Back