Grandini

ignatzcatz

Dirt Disciple
This is the last bike I restored, a quick rebuild that only took a few weeks, currently looking for something to pique my interest but with the lockdown and consequently no bike jumbles there is not much material to be found.

Attachments

• DSCN2598.JPG
    DSCN2598.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 1,156
  • DSCN2599.JPG
    DSCN2599.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,153
  • DSCN2600.JPG
    DSCN2600.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,150
  • DSCN2601.JPG
    DSCN2601.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,154
Very nice. Any idea of the date? Going by the underbracket cable guide I would reckon early 80's perhaps? However, the long Campag ends and long(ish) chainstays might not add up. The seat stay top, with what looks like extended seat lug and the shot-in stays, is very reminiscent of my '72 Dave Russell built by Bill Grey. Wasn't sure that Grandini were still around in the 80's TBH. Often advertised with Youngs. Metro and some other odd brands in the 60's. I'll look for some adverts.

Thanks Ned, Grandini was the up market side of Youngs cycles when they were in Lee High Road near to Lewisham. In fact they sponsored, I believe, an independent bunch of guys and this must have been in the '60's. I would estimate the bike to be a '60's manufacture, the under B/B cabling is just something that was done to modernise the frame, and not by me I would add. In doing this unwanted act the original frame number has been ground off so there is minimal chance of any accurate dating. The seat tube and rear stays lug was, I'm told quite unique to the Grandini although there was a similar affair on some top of the range Carltons. The additional pic which was taken before I painted the frame clearly shows this lug arrangement.
I would add the bike is super light and with those 28's it fairly flies along.
Keep safe, cheers.

Attachments

• DSCN2534.JPG
    DSCN2534.JPG
    936.6 KB · Views: 1,082
  • DSCN2536.JPG
    DSCN2536.JPG
    975.8 KB · Views: 1,082
Here's my Dave Russell seat lug.

Very similar. I wonder if Bill Grey did some building for Youngs/Grandini? He was a freelance builder.

Attachments

• RefurbDR.5.jpg
    RefurbDR.5.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,073
Found this advert while surfing through some old copies of Sporting Cyclist magazine. Taken from the December 1960 isue.

I would say that this is possibly earlier than the one here but I can't remember any other Grandini ads - although I'm still surfing!

Attachments

• Grandini SC Dec 60.A.jpg
    Grandini SC Dec 60.A.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,009
Re:

When did JD Whisker start trading? I used to visit both their shops in the second half of the seventies- had no idea they'd been around since 1960.

And what colour is 'Havana' ?

Just been reading this entry in 'Classic Lightweights' for Youngs which also includes a lot about Grandini, Meridian and Metro frames. It seems that Bill Philbrook built a lot of Grandini frames and later on Charles Roberts - so whichever built the OP frame it'll be a good 'un!

https://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/c ... gs-cycles/

EDIT - and some info on Bill Philbrook including the Grandini, Meridian etc. connections. After reading this I now know who P.A.G. Cycles were!

https://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/c ... -w-w-bill/

Here's a Grandini on the front cover of Sporting Cyclist. I hadn't realised it was a Grandini until I read the Youngs entry in Classic Lightweights mentioned above. Note the 'Fiorelli' style round fork crown and the 'fast back' seat stays. An early model from late 50's/1960 I reckon given the date of the magazine.

Attachments

• ClydeRimple.A.jpg
    ClydeRimple.A.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 872
Back