Kona Kapu 1994 62cm - hen's teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Build thread, background and story here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=278183&p=2075881

Shipped back in 2013 from Canada, this is the only known example (as of today) of a pre-mass production Kona Kapu. I'll stick my neck out and say you won't find another one like it. It features different cable routing, front mech mount and decals from the first ever Kapu, released back in the 1995 season.

The serial number F4060715 dates it to Fairly works, June 1994 and is in great condition given it's life as a triathletes bike. Everything is original to the bike except the saddle, brake pads, tyres, tubes, cables and bar-tape.

During the restoration I treated some of the patina with Krust and touched other spots with Humbrol paint. These could be removed easily with methylated spirits if desired.

The bars have scoring on one side due to them being pushed in transit from the US. Whilst she rides super smooth she would benefit from a visit to a local frame builder to cold-set the rear wheel alignment, specifically the drive side where the mech hanger was ever so slightly knocked in transit across the pond. It means there's a slight wobble when you put the power down hard. It's still a super-smooth ride.

There's no getting around it, she's big! I'm just shy of 6-2 and I can just about ride her comfortably. The dimensions are:

- Head tube 17cm
- Top tube 59cm
- Seat tube from bottom to the very top (as Kona's are measured during this time) 62cm
- Down tube 64cm

No splitting, full price is £600. For context, the recent 1997 and 1996 Kapu's sold for in excess of £750. I'll happily ship worldwide using bikeflights.com at the buyers cost. Please PM me if you'd like to purchase or have any questions. No time-wasters please :)

cO8pfH.jpg

1mPL5O.jpg

si8wxz.jpg

OUZUa0.jpg

7p6bUZ.jpg

YI7yJc.jpg

I9OICM.jpg

rOVnl8.jpg

cX0gM5.jpg

vZdiGM.jpg

muwutO.jpg

zcZtmg.jpg