CNC?Machining

Taking threaded steerer's as and example.

the internal diameter for 1-1/8" is 1", so you would have no steerer left.

Good luck :twisted:

i work for a engineering company with a machining department, this wouldnt be a problem if the tube was thick enough but i cant see that it will be.

you could always machine out your old streer tube and manufacture a new one to your size requiments and srink it in with around 0.003" interferance, make sure you use the correct material tho.

I have done this before on a old set of Mag 21s and they have been good to date and had some hammering

Instead of turning your steerer down to size, why don't you get a local engineering company to take your head tube out to 1 1/8"? Plenty of material there to play with and gives you a wider choice of stems/forks... and saves weight.

Done.

stejamhas":mvlrx40d said:
i work for a engineering company with a machining department, this wouldnt be a problem if the tube was thick enough but i cant see that it will be.

you could always machine out your old streer tube and manufacture a new one to your size requiments and srink it in with around 0.003" interferance, make sure you use the correct material tho.

I have done this before on a old set of Mag 21s and they have been good to date and had some hammering

I agree. Machine down the OD of your steerer to 1". Manufacture a new tube from 6061-T651 aluminum with a wall thickness of .128 (1/8" +.003) that is .003" smaller than the ID of the steerer (hopefully you don't have a brand new modern day fork where the steerer is internally tapered and/or butted as this would no work), then heat your steerer tube, shrink the newly manufactred tube in liquid nitrogen and quickly insert and press the new manufactured tube into the steerer tube.

You may no longer be able to use a star nut. Go look for one of those expanding star nut replacements instead.

Russell":c99k242e said:
Instead of turning your steerer down to size, why don't you get a local engineering company to take your head tube out to 1 1/8"? Plenty of material there to play with and gives you a wider choice of stems/forks... and saves weight.
Post of the month!

Cheers!":s92w2ynk said:
Machine down the OD of your steerer to 1". Manufacture a new tube from 6061-T651 aluminum with a wall thickness of .128 (1/8" +.003) that is .003" smaller than the ID of the steerer (hopefully you don't have a brand new modern day fork where the steerer is internally tapered and/or butted as this would no work), then heat your steerer tube, shrink the newly manufactred tube in liquid nitrogen and quickly insert and press the new manufactured tube into the steerer tube.
A much more satisfactory approach would be to simply grow a new monocrystalline steerer by vapour deposition.

:shock:

one-eyed_jim":obvgks6z said:
Russell":obvgks6z said:
Post of the month!

I thank you! :LOL:

Back