Dura ace shifter refurbishment / modification possible?

Holiocornolio

Devout Dirtbag
Hi All,

bit of a noob question I guess, but I'm on the hunt for some 7 speed DA downtube shifters. I've found a few sets, all with issues. One is scruffy with a little rust on the bolts / inserts, and I am wondering if I could just salvage some more presentable parts from another lever set (maybe internals from 600 series similar era?). Another is pristine but is a band on set, not configured for braze ons. Is it possible to just disassemble those and transplant onto braze on mounts? Plan b woul dbe to get a brand new 7900 set and use in friction mode but there are conflicting opinions as to whether new DA shifters have a friction mode. Help?
I do realise that in taking the internals from a 600 lever set and transplanting onto DA levers I am being a huge, precious, vain tart, but I'm ok with that.

This was originally posted in the wrong forum. Apologies

The internals of the 600 and DA 7700 are different on the index side.
The Dura Ace that are banded will just unscrew and go straight on the frame braze ons. The band just has two little stubs identical to the braze ons.
I have a few sets about so will try and photograph tomorrow.
Jamie

Jamiedyer":1wwmb7i9 said:
The internals of the 600 and DA 7700 are different on the index side.
The Dura Ace that are banded will just unscrew and go straight on the frame braze ons. The band just has two little stubs identical to the braze ons.
I have a few sets about so will try and photograph tomorrow.
Jamie
Brilliant! Thanks

Back