New bike part price increases forcing people away from ridin

MJN":9qj1ucp9 said:
Surly cog just cost me £20,the packet says you could make a cassette out of a number of these although it won't shift very well.Now I thought £20 was alot for a cog(they are meant to last ages though)but how much would it cost for the worst shifting cassette ever?

Pair it with a Paul's rear mech, super expensive shifting nirvana. Not.

king-salsa":1js02tpz said:
peanut":1js02tpz said:
gump":1js02tpz said:
buy a load of SRAM blocks/chains/rings from the CRC flood sale to keep you going for the next couple of years. works for me :)

flood sale my ass the only stuff I see on flood sale is slow moving stuff.Don't see any assos clothing or Dura Ace componants !

How much stuff gets stored on the floor in shops and warehouses anyway ?

Sorry call me cynical but I don't buy it

glad you said that i was thinking the same when i looked at it its all slow moving stuff and quite random just a rear xtr caliper etc

thats coz all the good stuff went weeks ago, you had to be quick to grab a bargain.

I got in on the day of the flood my mates work at CRC "filled me boots" staff discount ontop won't be buying cassette/chain/link and a hand full of rearmeck's for awhile. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I bought XT brake cable sets at £2.00 each, and they're not rusted to hell.
Just ordered last night a set of XT Cantis, £9.00 a pair.
Got some WTB grips for a few pound also..... :cool:

Re: New bike part price increases forcing people away from r

king-salsa":2ysgn48p said:
What you lot think ? example xt cassete last year 39.99 now 59.99
RRP on an XT cassette was £39.99 when I last bought one in the UK about 8 years ago. Inflation hasn't been high during that period, but you would expect prices to rise over that time. That they haven't is probably a result of the rising pound/yen exchange rate (look up "carry trade" if you want to know why that is) and that the prices have risen suddenly now is due to the tumbling pound - now back where it was in 1995 against the yen. Commodity prices have been booming too, and although they're back at saner levels now, those costs will still be working their way through the supply chain.

You can still get XT cassettes on eBay UK for £30 buy-it-now - LX (which now has an XT-style spider) and Deore are cheaper still. So tighten your belt and ride Deore, and wish you'd invested in Rohloff when times were good!

PS

HG50 for 12 euros at my favourite mail order shop

http://www.roseversand.de/output/contro ... tail2=2055

You've never had it so good!

Sorry but i dont think it will force people away, if people are genuine enthusiasts of cycling they'll either pay the bit extra or do what i do and go cheaper. You can get by ok without xt/xtr etc, i certainly did in my youth and i got on perfectly well and i abused my bikes to buggery! Not slating what you've said just meaning there are other options, which would prob bring the prices of some of the higher end things down a bit

Latest posts

Back