Hub bearing race wear

Radar

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Not exactly a retro issue but my new (15months old) Dura Ace 10 spd rear hub is very scratchy.

I know that one of the bearing races in the hub is badly pitted. Is there any mileage in filling the pits with 'supersteel glue' then sanding with fine wet and dry? (Or can you suggest any omore appropriate fillers?)

Or is it, as I fear time to buy a new hub?

Cheers in advance, Radar

Radar":23w7vrb0 said:
Not exactly a retro issue but my new (15months old) Dura Ace 10 spd rear hub is very scratchy.

I know that one of the bearing races in the hub is badly pitted. Is there any mileage in filling the pits with 'supersteel glue' then sanding with fine wet and dry? (Or can you suggest any omore appropriate fillers?)

Or is it, as I fear time to buy a new hub?

Cheers in advance, Radar

Sheesh. That is real bad luck. I've got a pair of 8 year old 9spd Ultegra hubs which have been on several bikes, ridden through a few winters, crashed and generally abused and they still run well.
I realise that doesn't help but I'd suggest sanding the race smooth with some wet and dry. Take it you've done big mileage on them ?

Radar":mzs07eg7 said:
Erm no not really, about 1750km

I'd be tempted to take them back to whence you bought them. Manufacturers warranty has expired but you could get them under the sale of goods act. That's no good at all. Done over 3000 miles on my training bike in the last 12 months and the same again and more on my good ride which has DA 9. The hubs on both are spot on.

When I built my Orange originally I used a XT parallax hub up font and a LX parallax rear. Guess what, the XT is rough as arses now and the LX has never been touched and works a treat after 8 years! Luck of the draw but there may be some mileage in going to the point of sale and asking. Some places are very good indeed with good will exchanges.

Don't attempt to resurface bearing races - it doesn't work. Wheel being rebuilt with new hub, bike shop chap is going to show hub to madison rep next time he's in. Here's hoping!

Back