Orange P7

Brother Belcher

Dirt Disciple
I'm rebuilding a P7 & using some better bits from my C16, I've just spent 20 minutes sorting out the 8 speed shifter, but when I came to swapping the rear cassette as the C16 had good LX/mavic wheels but 7 speed, I found the original P7 owner had been running a 7 speed cassette with a 8 speed shifter? strange, I now need to buy a 8 speed cassette.

Attachments

• DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,558
  • DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 1,558
That's another nice Nickel P7. :cool: The 17" Orange frames look so right, especially with F7 forks.

I think I'd stick with LX mech's if it was mine since that's the original spec. and the bike is so unmolested otherwise.
They could be specified with an XT groupset when new though, so there's no 'right' answer.

Cool bike. ;)

It was a bike I always wanted, but could never afford at the time, I bet it climbs well, it seems very light, hopefully I'll test it out next weekend around canock chase (or the high peak trail, as I've had septic arthritis in my right knee, so have to be careful)

Brother Belcher":3h3rbugw said:
It was a bike I always wanted, but could never afford at the time, I bet it climbs well, it seems very light, hopefully I'll test it out next weekend around canock chase (or the high peak trail, as I've had septic arthritis in my right knee, so have to be careful)

It will climb as well if not better than anything else you have ridden - going down hill will not be as good as a full susser though :LOL: :LOL:

Brother Belcher":1rrfilvq said:
I'm rebuilding a P7 & using some better bits from my C16, I've just spent 20 minutes sorting out the 8 speed shifter, but when I came to swapping the rear cassette as the C16 had good LX/mavic wheels but 7 speed, I found the original P7 owner had been running a 7 speed cassette with a 8 speed shifter? strange, I now need to buy a 8 speed cassette.
Nice-looking bike obviously, and some of the best forks ever, but I personally wouldn't say a P7 was necessarily 'better' than a C16R. Heavier-duty, I guess, but just depends what you want really.

Just guessing, but if the bike has a 8-speed shifter and a 7-speed cassette, is the high stop on the rear mech screwed in to prevent the shifter from being able to move the mech to the non-existent 8th sprocket? And apologies if it's obvious, but I just wondered whether he was running a 7-speed cassette because the wheel has a 7-speed hub? Still, nothing wrong with 7-speed IMHO.

Back