Magic Number achieved stiff but trick

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
follow on from my musings here

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Quite happy,

I knew that single speed gearing 44 - 15 worked as i tried it when I had gears so went with 46 - 16 which is almost the same ;)

and after trialing it with my retro chainsets own 46t I was surprised i'd landed the magic number, so ordered teh Thorn chain ring which looks sweet and hey presto magic number on a vertical drop out! :cool: :D

DSCN1710.jpg

Its a bit stiff especially half way round but expecting the chain to 'stretch a bit anyway. I undid the chainring in situe but didn't make a difference, so hoping it will be ok... could also see if the sprocket is central too I suppose

DSCN1707.jpg

Massive improvement over the worn cheepy effort
DSCN1708.jpg

no wonder it chucked the chain off when i had gears :roll: :)

Thanks and comments welcome

Depending on the frame (& your future plans for it), you can modify the dropouts a li'l bit with a round-edged file & get a little bit of horizontal adjustability in there... Nice not to have a tensioner though, isn't it! :)

Have you got a nice big chain on there, & a chunky sprocket too?

Yeah its a Thorn branded CNCring and a SRAM PC1 plus a Shimano DX from Londonfixieshop, it does feel good, :D

Just went round outside to try it and feels nice, lets just hope no headwinds spoil me fun :D

:idea: thanks for tips, i did read about filing the axle flat

got the bug now,debating either single or 7 speeding my Raleigh Apex for light weight offroad, and then that old frame I have has horizontal dropouts, spotted that just after I was gonna try sell it :?: decisions decisions

retrobikes016.jpg

ebayandspares015.jpg

Back