1983 F.W.Evans HISTORY UPDATE...

Re: 1983 / 1984 F.W.Evans...

Almost identical Saracen (although possibly a preproduction model)

fin1.jpg

And heres the original 1084 advert showing the Saracen/ Evans/ Bluemels version of your bike

file.php

file.php

Am I right in thinking that although the headset and seat clamp/bolt would benefit from a night in some EvapoRust, everything else just needs cleaning?

So who was building frames at Bluemels in 1983? I'm sure that distinctive cable stop was a Yates thing but I may have had one too many bangs on the head

Re:

Bluemels didn’t build bikes.

They acquired Saracen from the chap who set it up and then later sold it to the third set of owners when they went into liquidation.

Bluemels were in Wolston - now a housing estate - and Saracen were in Warwick.

There’s an early connection with Knights cycles from wolves, and Evans had their own frame builder in Mr Healey. That Saracen started as an up shoot of staples bike shop in kenilworth, and that F.W. Evans were themselves a two shop operation at the time, I don’t think either would have built for t other.

That suggests that both sourced frames initially from the same third party. The Saracen above is later, with simple cable stop and 531 tubing - at this point Saracen would have taken the design in house presumably and made some production changes, and Evans did similar.

Outsourcing could have been to msteel which would explain the Yates canti stop on first produced frames, also Jackson’s or Mercian - both of whom (though they won’t admit it) themselves outsourced at times to a local to here frame builder from Coventry.

That’s roughly where I’m thinking with things at the moment.

Re:

Saracen was set up by Brian Staples, as we know, when he sold his bike shop in Kenilworth and moved onto new things.

It was set up in Warwick, and made the first 'production' MTB frame in the UK, as we know.

[discounting earlier custom frames made by Roberts and others].

Who made the very first Saracens in lugged 501 with the distinctive rear cable stop - as seen here branded as F.W.Evans - in 1983...?

Tom Bromwich - in his local workshop in Far Gosford Street, Coventry. :cool:

Later versions [lugged 531] with the simple cable stop were made by Jim Macilwain who had bought TBC off Tom.

Working with Jim a little later was Lee Cooper, my local frame builder and font of knowledge, who's garage in Ryton needs to be seen to be believed.

There is much more history to this, but that's for another time - the purpose of this little post was simply to set the record straight about who made the very first Saracen frames, as I was a little concerned about well intended, but misinformed, information becoming 'fact'.

As I mentioned previously, Bluemels never built frames - they simply bought Saracen the 'brand' from Brain Staples, and later sold the 'brand' [through being in liquidation] to the Stanford brothers - with all subsequent production being moved overseas as part of their vast profit making [sorry, expansion] plans...

So, there we go, hopefully that clears things up a little and it's certainly eased the little pain at the back of my head anyway.

ferrus":3jms93eq said:
Hey that's fab, even nicer condition than expected. Great score there.
Will you keep the mudguards? (hope so!) :)

:p - oh yes they will be staying [family connection], and I'll be looking for some suitable period racks and panniers to add to them. :)

nstarmore":3jms93eq said:
Enjoy, and if you get bored of it...

Thanks chap - will think of you if the time arises, but I'm afraid I can't see that happening anytime soon!

Peachy!":3jms93eq said:
Am I right in thinking that although the headset and seat clamp/bolt would benefit from a night in some EvapoRust, everything else just needs cleaning?

Completely correct. It's in excellent condition, and things like the 'marks' on the cranks etc are simply age old black grease which will come off when the strip down and clean begins. Slightly frustratingly, until recently it even had the original tyres, but the seller swapped them for new ones in order to get it ready for his wife, and binned them! aaaarghhhh!

:LOL:

Glad you got this and it is on here, unfortunately i missed the end of the auction, but i feel you would have probably bid a bit higher anyway :)

It sounds like it will get a bit more love there too, i would have just rode it.

Looking forward to seeing, and reading, more :cool:

Back