Carbon Frame

my lexus,they havent been cleared in that pic,just buffed resin,bear in mind they are a really flat and easy shape,to make shapes like lugs and working with tubes is incredibly difficult even for the pros hence the high price of carbon frames but you can buy an older carbon frame on ebay for less than £100 these days easily like an old OCLV or fisher,i got a fisher super caliber for £50! (frame only)

bike.jpg

seriously,its not going to happen..

stew-b":3jt8jcsj said:
my lexus,they havent been cleared in that pic,just buffed resin,bear in mind they are a really flat and easy shape,to make shapes like lugs and working with tubes is incredibly difficult even for the pros hence the high price of carbon frames but you can buy an older carbon frame on ebay for less than £100 these days easily like an old OCLV or fisher,i got a fisher super caliber for £50! (frame only)

bike.jpg

seriously,its not going to happen..

Now that is a bargin. Is it nice to ride?

I don't doubt what your saying, but have you checked out this link?

http://www.bmeres.com/carbonframe1.htm

This guy claims to have very little experience working with composites?

yes i looked at the link,all he has done is whats called an overlay,basically wrapping carbon around a form to make it look pretty,composite engineering is a little more advanced than that laying plys in specific directions to atain strength in the direction its needed,thats why formula 1 cars suspension arms are incredibly strong and good at what the do but explode into a million bits at the slightest impact,they are nt designed to be strong in that way.virtually all carbon bikes are going to be either alloy lugs with bonded carbon tubes or actually firbreglass with a layer of cosmetic carbon on top to fool the punter(check out some trimble threads on here).
very few are genuine monocoque frames such as kestrel(im not convinced that is either)
you can buy tubes from here- http://carbonfibretubes.co.uk/ these would work with alu lugs but the costs would be astronomical.
i guarentee the bike in you link has snapped by now,it was a cosmetic lump of styrofoam badly wrapped in carbon very badly laid with no vacuum and then tarted up to make it look expensive.

re:

sounds like u want to build an eary giant cadex, i got mine for free (have to pay the transport and still waiting for it but...) I would love to have the newer version the same as the supercaliber. Was my dreambike when I was younger.

Don't know why everyones being so down on you, its thinking like this that kickstarted a lot of the innovations in MTBing in the first place.

I know of somebody who built their own bike for a school project. He used to ride it very fast and hard down very rocky descents and most of the time it stayed in one piece.

im not being down,just realistic.i do have more than a fair idea of what im talking about.. :roll:

stew-b":10vax1p4 said:
yes i looked at the link,all he has done is whats called an overlay,basically wrapping carbon around a form to make it look pretty,composite engineering is a little more advanced than that laying plys in specific directions to atain strength in the direction its needed,thats why formula 1 cars suspension arms are incredibly strong and good at what the do but explode into a million bits at the slightest impact,they are nt designed to be strong in that way.virtually all carbon bikes are going to be either alloy lugs with bonded carbon tubes or actually firbreglass with a layer of cosmetic carbon on top to fool the punter(check out some trimble threads on here).
very few are genuine monocoque frames such as kestrel(im not convinced that is either)
you can buy tubes from here- http://carbonfibretubes.co.uk/ these would work with alu lugs but the costs would be astronomical.
i guarentee the bike in you link has snapped by now,it was a cosmetic lump of styrofoam badly wrapped in carbon very badly laid with no vacuum and then tarted up to make it look expensive.

Just because the frame is a wet layup over a male mould doesn't mean that the frame will break. You will use more resin and end up with a thicker and heavier laminate than if you used a female mould and a bladder, but this desn't mean the frame will break.

Back