Withdrawn Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 1989 frameset

WimVDD

Senior Retro Guru
Selling one of the projects I started but don't seem to finish.

Iconic Stumpjumper from 1989 in good condition. Top tube has a small ding but nothing too bad as the paint is still intact.

Asking 150 € for frame, forks and original Specialized bars.

Parts I already mounted are also for sale.

Attachments

• STump Comp 1989 Frameset.jpg
    STump Comp 1989 Frameset.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 982
  • Stumpjumper Comp 1989 Catalogue.jpg
    Stumpjumper Comp 1989 Catalogue.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 983
Castillo5":1fmey5yd said:
That’s too bad. Change your mind and I’m interested!

I'm keeping it because it seems I've been fooled by the previous owner. If you have a look at the purple part of the top decal, you'll see it's in a wrong place. It was sold to me as genuine but now I can't even guarantee it's a Stumpjumper. I'm going to keep it and build a vintage summer touring bike from it. Found a matching 90's neon yellow Specialized rear rack for it.

Wim

WimVDD":1o21elsm said:
Castillo5":1o21elsm said:
That’s too bad. Change your mind and I’m interested!

I'm keeping it because it seems I've been fooled by the previous owner. If you have a look at the purple part of the top decal, you'll see it's in a wrong place. It was sold to me as genuine but now I can't even guarantee it's a Stumpjumper. I'm going to keep it and build a vintage summer touring bike from it. Found a matching 90's neon yellow Specialized rear rack for it.

Wim

I've been doing my own '89 Stumpjumper Comp renovation here -

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=419575

From my research, I'd say yours is definitely genuine.
The seat tube top detail, seat stay mounted brakes, rear facing Q/R positioning without band.....Hardrocks and Rock hoppers from that vintage all have a band round the top of the seatube.
The top tube decal appears to be on the wrong way round rather than in the wrong place. That could have been like that from the factory?

I've ordered replacement decals for mine and have had to work the decal orientation out for a two colour design. Unfortunately the 'neon' jersey inspired theme hasn't worked out as well as I'd hoped so I'm stripping the paint back again. :facepalm:

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Re:

Thanks, Boy O boy. If it's genuine, that would be great. If it's not, so be it. I started my build and I already love the idea so much, I won't sell it anyway. :facepalm:

Back