Any idea what this old frame is?

Re: Re:

Rod_Saetan":mkjp8ml4 said:
Frankenorange":mkjp8ml4 said:
That shell, with the 2 clamps, could well be for an eccentric BB. Eccentric BB shells commonly
have this clamping mechanism, or a couple of screws that bite into the BB body.

True, but eccentric BB shells take an eccentric block that the BB screws into, they aren't threaded themselves!

Absolutely and the shells are a much larger diameter. Maybe some effort at stopping cups coming loose if they havent got lockrings i.e Royce, Taperlock etc

Alot of the brazing looks a bit rough so maybe home modified or maybe a prototype?

I am sure that under the paint there are lots of stories and best removed gently i reckon.

Frankenorange":3ogi1vzr said:
That shell, with the 2 clamps, could well be for an eccentric BB. Eccentric BB shells commonly

They do. I've worked on a few over the years but usually they're much bigger than this. This is only the size of a standard BB shell. Any eccentrics I've seen have had a much wider diameter shell.

I'm aware of standard size BBs that have a small eccentric feature but I thought they weren't too common. For example: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottom-brac ... centriker/

Rod_Saetan":1mknoxyd said:
Frankenorange":1mknoxyd said:

True, but eccentric BB shells take an eccentric block that the BB screws into, they aren't threaded themselves!

Could it be to save having to carry a BB tool when touring?? BB would lock with 5mm allen key rather than lock rings. Would also allow fine tuning of the chain line.

Re:

Ive seem that bb arrangement before, just can't quite place it. My brain is telling me I saw it on an orange/white fade frame which had something to do with Donohoe and the name scorpion just popped into my head. Could be way wrong though.

The way the frame is now looks to me like it was once a bigger frame but someone wanted smaller so chopped the steerer down an re-welded the top tube lower down. Again, could be wrong but might explain the welds and marks around the seat tube higher than the top tube.

I hope you identify it, looks interesting and I like the rear brake boss position, would be cool to have rearward facing ones on the fork to complete the uniqueness. Orange did some f7 forks that way, and there is always pace.

Re:

Almost looks like molten plastic and not paint. May be worth getting it powder coated and ask to see it after it's been sand blasted prior to coating to see exactly what you've got there.

Grabbed my attention this. Can't offer any help, but I think we all know this is not something banged out in the 1000s.

EDIT: Front fork low rider mounts indicates it is for some serious long distance rough touring. I think this is a really interesting frame set: lot's of road type thinking, but equally 26".

ishaw":2nkqhmm0 said:
Ive seem that bb arrangement before, just can't quite place it. My brain is telling me I saw it on an orange/white fade frame which had something to do with Donohoe and the name scorpion just popped into my head. Could be way wrong though.

The way the frame is now looks to me like it was once a bigger frame but someone wanted smaller so chopped the steerer down an re-welded the top tube lower down. Again, could be wrong but might explain the welds and marks around the seat tube higher than the top tube.

I hope you identify it, looks interesting and I like the rear brake boss position, would be cool to have rearward facing ones on the fork to complete the uniqueness. Orange did some f7 forks that way, and there is always pace.

I am possibly starting to remember something myself. In the last year, or maybe two, i am sure there was the same BB arrangement on a mystery frame over on LFGSS. Unless it was this one, of course!!

Back