Rocky mountain Team Comp???

Could be a Hammer, although my old Hammer which was the same size weighed just over 5lbs :?

Surely the relatively light weight is fairly conclusive evidence that this is a high-end frame, equivalent to the Equipe level? Although it can’t be either a 91 Equipe or a Hammer (nor even a Blizzard or a Summit for that matter), as it has different dropouts to all those.

The English translation of Equipe is competition team, so it doesn’t seem too far-fetched to think that the Team Comp model may have been created as a small run of frames based on the 91 Equipe. Crayons says that it was sold only in Europe, we don’t know why, but that is consistent with it not appearing in the catalogues. Possibly the name actually meant something, and it was small run of frames intended inter alia for xc team riders.

The exceptionally short top tube may be a useful piece of evidence. It may be a disadvantage now, as far as Steve riding it is concerned, but one possible explanation is that this was a custom frame built for a team rider (possibly a female?) who preferred a very short tt. RM was a small factory building frames by hand. If a team rider needed a short frame, it would have been perfectly possible to build them one.

I’m not sure what other explanation there can be for a size 17 frame having a 53cm top tube. The catalogue says 55.2 for a 17, and I know from my 93 Equipe that the actual top tube of an 18.5 is if anything longer than what the catalogue says. Maybe Steve is measuring 53cm along the tube and the 55.2cm in the catalogue is horizontal. But even along the tube, 53cm is the length of a Kona size 14, so I suspect that it is a very short tube and that this could be a sign of a custom build.

I neglected to mention that my Hammer has Ritchey dropouts. I have no idea what the frame weighs though.

bagpipes":3qseh6hz said:
I neglected to mention that my Hammer has Ritchey dropouts. I have no idea what the frame weighs though.
OK, bikes sold don't always equate to bikes in catalogues! As per below.

But weight and maybe tt length evidence remains. I don't know whether 53cm really is all that short for an RM though.

Attachments

• 1991 Hammer size 21.5.jpg
    1991 Hammer size 21.5.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 2,110
Jones, you got any clearer pictures you can get up ?

I thought this post had stopped, but plenty more added I see :)

1991 is the year, really not much to doubt there.
Only year with head tube mounted cable stops.
Dropouts can be holed and filled as we've seen a few times now in 1991.

Frame weight is quite light for 1991 in my opinion, lighter than my 1991 20" Altitude iirc. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 856#250856 which is usually the lightest of the steel frames. Of course the size adds to the weight ;-).

Hammers are not light bikes as they are reasonably low end, second to bottom, just above Fusion. Though low end for Rocky is Mid range for most others at that time.

----

Anyways, If you have a Rocky Mountain bike built up etc.. then post it in to your Gallery ( http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/gallery2.php ) there is a link in the top right on there I think. Add Rocky Mountain as a tag.
Also maybe we could start getting details together like Frame number (add it to the description) size, year.
Also add the frame name if definite and a presumed frame name if not, lol.

I'll see if I can get some side on of my two and get them added.

OK, think there is prolly enough interest in a RM sticky in readers bikes.

Maybe do this and run thread as a trial and add a couple of other makes. Will have a quick think of best way and let you all know.

Just a though. Given the realtive light weight of this frame, does anyone know if they made a Tantalus with the wishbone stays? Those were a custom made frame which may explain the odd measurements and the dropouts. If so the person who ordered it may have asked for the cable guides on the head tube to avoid cable rub (A great placement if you ask me)

I could be way off base here but I thought I'd toss it out there for thought.

Lastly how about some better pics of the beast other than the e-bay ones. I'd like to see the serial number to see if it was machine stamped or hand stamped.

Tantalus came with Henry James cast lugs, silver solder blah blah, it doesn't say and there is no picture but I would assume more than likely it had wishbone. (Though the Summit is part of Race Light and has FastBack stays)

Head tube cable stops mounting was for strength of inner walls on the top/down tube and the headtube has more metal.
Only problem I have with the headtube mounts is the cables rotate a lot and gets damaged quicker, that and if you have a tight line to make it efficient and neat it acts as a spring on the handlbars.
Yes I like them too.

A quick look in the 1991 catalogue on this site and the Hammer frame is about 2250g (no idea what size though) [ 4.96 lb aka 4 lb 15 oz ]
(Fusion = 2500g , Stratos 2000g, Titanium - 1500g)

Rocky Mountain Team Comp

I have one of these. I bought it in 1993. It is silver and it is a TEAM COMP. When I bought it it had Scott shocks on it. It is currently away having a respray, I had no idea it was rare. Is it worth anything in tatty, but original condition ?. If it is I will drag it back from the paint shop before they touch it. Does anyone know what modern day rigid fork will fit ? :p

Rock Mountain Team comp serial number and decals

I have a rocky mountain team comp - my frame number is a 4 digit hand stamped one, cant tell you what it is cos I have sent it to Bob Jackson in Leeds for a re-spray. Did someone have some retro decals for it ?. I only have modern ones from Sticky Bikes, It would be nice to get some old ones.

Back