CNC?Machining

Muddy Funster

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Folks,

I'm thinking about getting a local CNC firm to 'skim' my 1/18" aluminium steerer down to 1"...

Anyone else got any experience in doing this? Is it a wise move? Will it introduce unwanted metal fatigue and breakages...

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sounds like a bad idea to me because you'll be reducing the tube thickness. A 1" steerer tube would have the same wall thickness as an 1 1/8" but with a smaller overall diameter. :?

Post the steerer in the steerer swap section? What kind of fork is it?

I agree, seriously don't bother. the steerer will have sufficient tube thickness and have been heat treated to give it the required strength, CNCing it will weaken it by a large amount.

Can you not find a 1" steerer that will fit?

this is nearly as daft a thread as make your own carbon frame lol :LOL: seriously,dont do it! post up your needs on the steerer exchange thread instead :D

stew-b":14m8npre said:
this is nearly as daft a thread as make your own carbon frame lol :LOL: seriously,dont do it! post up your needs on the steerer exchange thread instead :D

Not quite as bad as the thread on another site about someone who was going to add extra steerer tube threads by using a hack-saw or a chisel rather than get a bike shop to cut them in with a die!

Back